Saturday, May 29, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend 2010..."Bill Camping" 2.0...or...Say Hello to my Little Friend





I saw my first one in Yellowstone National Park in September of 2008...on the way home from Alaska. At first, I thought that they might be some kind of storage trailer hitched to a vehicle. But they had windows!...and I saw people climbing in and out of them.
I found out later that these little trailers were called "Teardrop Campers". They first appeared in the 1930's and 40's...people built them from plans or "kits"...and they were an inexpensive way to camp. The term "Teardrop" comes from their unique shape.
Later, companies began to build and sell these little campers. Today, you can buy some that have kitchens, bathrooms, showers, etc. But most of them are very small...they sleep two, are insulated (R12 usually), have lights in the interior, and both 12 volt and AC power systems. And...most importantly, they are very light in weight due to the fiberglass and/or aluminum construction.
When I was camping this winter, I started thinking about how a "Teardrop" could really improve the camping "experience". Camping in Big Bend National Park in early December, it was pitch dark by 6:30PM and cold, very cold. If I wanted to read and be comfortable (and, perhaps, have a post-dinner "digestif"), my only option was to sit in the Escape with the engine running...not very comfortable or practical.
While it was plenty warm later camping in Everglades National Park, it was still dark at 6:30PM...plus...there was that little matter of the mosquitoes.
So...when I returned from my Florida trip, I began to do some detailed research on these Teardrop Campers. There were three brands that I liked...and that had great reputations...T@B, Camp-Inn and Little Guy. Unfortunately, I also found that Teardrop Campers are expensive...very expensive.
So...I spent the rest of the winter and spring, searching for a used one on-line...Craigslist, e-Bay...used RV sites...you name it. When I thought that I had found something at the right price, it would turn out to be located in Oregon..or New Mexico...nothing local.
Ah...but then...yesterday, I was checking "Craigslist"...and there it was...a 2008 Little Guy 6-Wide...advertised as "brand new, never used". And, best of all, the price was right. So, yesterday, I went to take a look at it...and it was just as advertised. It wasn't "like new", it WAS new...squeaky clean without a single dent, scratch or other "blemish".
And so...I haggled a little over the price...and then...thanks to some very timely financial "assistance" from Mom...I bought it, and I towed it home, and it's sitting in my driveway.
The owners, Darrell and Ruth Ann were just the nicest people. I could tell that they were sad to part with their "Little Guy". And when my connection for the lights wouldn't work, Darrell could have said..."See ya". But he didn't...he spent the better part of an hour testing the circuits, crawling under the Escape...trying to get the lights to work. And, even though he was unsuccessful, the gesture alone was enough for me.
So...take a look at the photos. It's going to be a whole different world of camping from now on.

No comments: