Monday, May 28, 2012

The Florida Chronicles...Part 2...January

Even though we went to bed around 2:00AM, we are still bleary-eyed the next morning. I slept in Terri and Carl's motor home so that we could get an early start for New Orleans. Still...we are not on the road until 10:00AM or so. Ed and Molly have agreed to take care of my cats while I'm in New Orleans, but it's tough going as my cats and their cats try to "adapt" to one another. The trip to New Orleans is pretty uneventful. Carl, as always, does the driving...and does it well. Around 6:00PM or so, we pull into the French Quarter RV and Resort...it's very nice...and...it's only a ten minute walk from Bourbon Street. Terri and Carl want to hang in the motor home and relax, but I'm itching to get into the French Quarter for some oysters. At 8:00PM, I'm sitting at the bar at Acme Oyster House...where I polish off three dozen on the half-shell, a small order of fried oysters and several local (Abita) beers. Then, for the next few hours, I wander the French Quarter...hitting a few of my favorite spots for beers and the quaint local specialty of cherries marinated in 190 proof Everclear. Long after midnight, I return to the motor home...slightly "buzzed" and my thirst for oysters slaked. The next day, Terri's got to work, so Carl and I head into the French Quarter for lunch at...where else...Acme Oyster Bar. They're not open when we arrive, so Carl and I go around the corner to Johnny Whites Bar for a few Bloody Mary "warm-ups"...then we're back at Acme for another round of oysters on the half-shell as well as a few orders of fried oysters. My favorite "shucker", Norman, is there, and it's nice to renew that acquaintance. I discretely slip Norman a $20 right away, thus ensuring that I will be seated promptly in the future regardless of the line outside. That night, Terri, Carl and I meet our tailgate/motor home friends from UM games, Angelo and Mary Beth, for a spectacular dinner at my favorite New Orleans restaurant, Commander's Palace. As always, the service and food are...well...perfect. We take it easy the next day in preparation for the big game at 8:00PM. We have tickets to the official "UM Tailgate" before the game, but it is incredibly crowded...we can't even get in. So...we decide to head to the Superdome early. We have great seats, and we are only a few steps from the concession stands. Some gumbo, a bowl of jambalaya and a few beers alleviate our pre-game "jitters". The game itself is exciting. Our center breaks a bone in his foot during warm-ups and we don't play particularly well...but...some uncharacteristic mistake by Virginia Tech's special teams keeps us in the game. It goes to overtime, and UM wins with a field goal. We stay in New Orleans for a few days after the game. Terri works, but Carl and I get some "bonding time" each day as we wander the French Quarter in search of bars and restaurants. Terri does join us for Friday lunch at Galatoire's...great food as well as great "spectacle" there. On our last day in New Orleans, Carl and I are again wandering the French Quarter...stopping here and there for a bite to eat and the occasional cocktail. On our way back to the RV Park, we stop at a local animal shelter to take a look at a few cats that they have available for adoption. A pretty Calico catches my eye, and I hold her for a bit before we head back out. Thirty minutes later, I'm back at the Shelter and, soon, I have a new cat in my family...that Calico, who we promptly name Nola. The next day, we head back to Tampa. I stay at Ed and Molly's for a few days before heading back home to Palm City. The rest of January turns out a lot like December...more work around the house. I am able to explore more of the local restaurants in the Stuart area...finding several good places for seafood, sushi, pizza, etc. Near the end of January, I returned to Jonathan Dickinson State Park for my first backpacking trip. After a comfortable night at a regular campsite in the "Little Guy, I set off early the next morning to hike ten miles along a trail of deep sand to the Park's remote backpacking campsite. It wa slow going,, but I arrived at my camp late in the afternoon. After setting up my "ultra-light" tent (1 lb., 10 oz.), I made a cocktail of Everclear, water and powdered Gatorade (one must travel light) and made a dinner of Indian eggplant with chunks of white chicken...delicious...and all cooked on my little "Pocket Rocket" stove. Everything was going well until the Park Rangers decided to light off a "controlled burn" right at sunset. Although they assured me that I was completely safe, it was a nervous evening...surrounded by flames. The next morning, I made a hot breakfast before hiking halfway back. At the halfway point, I was able to hitch a ride with one of the Rangers back to my vehicle.
At the
end of January, I head back over to Tampa for the annual Gasparilla /Festival with Ed and Molly. This time, I can leave the cats behind because a nice neighbor girl has agreed to "cat sit" for me while away.

No comments: