Thursday, February 14, 2013

Costa Rica Journal...Day 3...Thursday, February 14, 2013...The Monteverde Cloud Forent

The first time that the alarm went off last night, it was about midnight...I had been asleep for about two hours. It rang for about twenty minutes, and then stopped. Thereafter, it went off every hour on the hour for twenty minutes. There was also someone's screaming baby...a very loud baby...around 3:30AM.
So...it was not my best night of sleep...particularly in my sleeping bag on type of my small inflatable mattress.
Around 5:30AM, I'm up and headed to the hostel's kitchen where there is a large pot of fresh coffee. So...I drink my coffee and enjoy a morning cigar out on the deck as I review my plans for the day.
Around 6:30, my fellow traveler, Allison, joins me. I have spent so much time over the years that I am always thankful for company. Allison is good company...smart and worldly...so we can discuss just about anyything.
Our tour starts around 7:30. Our guide is very knowledgeable and speaks excellent English. We then proceed to hike seven or so kilometers as our guide points out and explains various birds and trees. We get to see a beautiful Quetzal...but only through a telescope...no photos. The tour takes a little over three hours...and it's beautiful...all beautiful. We finish up at a hummingbird farm...where several of them "dive bomb" me.
Oh, and by the way...that rickety suspension bridge...several hundred feet above the forest floor...yea...I walked across that...twice.
Allison decides to hike some more while I head back to town. I get ice for the cooler...a couple of tacos for lunch.
And now I'm sitting here at the Pension Santa Elena...posting to the blog. Enjoy the photos.
Tomorrow, I'm off to the Arenel Volcano and two comfortable nights at a lodge.

No comments: