Wednesday, June 27, 2012

"The Way West"...Day 14...Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Another cold and rainy morning convinces me that I have made the right choice to pull up stakes and head north to Hood River.
I packed everything last night, so all I need to do is make that one last sprint to the pit toilet (yech!) and enjoy some hot coffee from the thermos.
I'm onthe road heading north just past 7:00AM. And, a little before 8:00, I arrive in Hood River. I stop for gas, then slide over to McDonalds for breakfast. When I'm at home, I never visit McDonalds (well...maybe Picnic Week, but that's it) but, on the road, it's an easy choice. Their coffee is good, and I usually get a sausage McMuffin with egg and a hash brown...fuel for the road.
Right over the toll bridge, on the Washington side, there's a Good Sam RV Campground, so I pull in there. Soon, I'm posting to the blog...and then, a hot shower (at 25 cents for 2 1/2 minutes).
Some winemakers in Walla Walla told me about a winery near here, Syncline, so I head about ten miles over there. Unfortunately, it's closed, so it's back to camp. I need groceries, so I head back over the toll bridge to the Oregon side, and stop at the local Safeway. I wish that we had Safeways in Michigan...they're clean, well-stocked and the staff is friendly. And...I have my Safeway "Value Card" from two years ago, so I save money. Today, I get a steak, some pork for stir fries, vegetables, cookies...and...two big slices of their great chocolate fudge cake. Back at camp, I empty the cooler, clean it out, throw in a block of ice and repack.
Up the road, a mile or so, there's an Eagles Club, so I decide to head there for an "early cocktail hour". Not too many folks in there, but I do get two free Silver Bullet drafts.
Back at camp, I read for an hour before dinner. Ah...dinner...I've got leftover Tandoori chicken, so I throw that in a pan with a bottle of Sharwoods Tikka Masala simmer sauce. I also have Bombay potatoes in a cooking bag, so those go in some boiling water. Now I just heat up some leftover rice, open a bottle of red wine and, in fifteen minutes, I've got a great meal.
After dinner, I read until sundown and head for bed. No...I didn't hike today or climb any mountains...but I had sunlight and the temperature was in the 60's. So...for me...it was a good day.
I am really looking forward to my drive tomorrow. I'll be heading north on a small Forest Service Road to McClellan where, I am told, I should have a spectacular view of Mt. St. Helens...can't wait.





No comments: