Saturday, January 12, 2013

Fall 2012

Wow...long time, no post!
Back from my camping trip, I only have two days to unpack and get ready for the first UM home game against Air Force. I get just about everything out of the Explorer the first day, but it's going to take a week or so to sort through and put everything away. Plus...I've got three months worth of mail to go through.
The menu for the Air Force game is simple...burgers, chips, dip, some red wine and lots of beer. The game is closer than I'd prefer, as our defense has trouble with Air Force's "Veer Offense".
Next up...Massachusetts. I spend this week unpacking and doing laundry. The mail yields an unpleasant surprise...payment on my Mom's homeowner's insurance was about a dollar short. So, naturally, they cancelled the policy...and no reinstatement. My friend, Mark Freedman, is kind enough to drive up to Palm City from the Keys, find and agent, and line up a new policy within a few days. You can't have a tailgate for the Massachusetts game without lobster, do I make a batch of my famous lobster and corn chowder...throw in some freshly-baked biscuits and a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc, and you've got a meal. As expected, we blow Massachusetts out.
I receive some great news...my friends, Kathy and Bill Lamping, have two tickets to the UM/Notre Dame game in South Bend...and they're all mine! I do a little research and find that there's a KOA Campground just four miles from ND stadium...so I'm thinking camping trip! My friend, Robin, wants to go...so, Friday afternoon, I pick her up in Toledo, and we set off for South Bend with the "Little Guy". About ten minutes from South Bend, it starts to rain...as it would continue to do for most of the weekend. Arriving at the KOA, we set up my new Kelty "Noah's Tarp" for shelter from the rain. It's my first time setting it up, and I'm impressed. It goes up pretty easily, it's stable, and it's great protection from the rain. The temperature, however, is in the low 40's, so it's not real comfortable outside. I've brought everything for Flank Steak Fajitas for dinner, but Robin and I decide to drive a quarter mile to an Italian restaurant for much-needed cocktails...veal...pasta...Chianti...very nice. We also run into my friend, Matt Teets and his girlfriend...met up with them down in Dallas for the Alabama game. Saturday morning, it's cold and rainy...so...instead of grilled Tandoori chicken and Bombay Eggplant for our tailgate, Robin and I pick up sandwiches at Subway. The less said about the game, the better...except to say that, despite six (six!!!) turnovers, UM was in the game to the very end.
The following Saturday, we play at Purdue. I miss all of my friends after being away camping for three months...so...I have a party. Lots of good friends, red and green Enchiladas, and a large quantity of beer make for a great party. Added bonus...we beat the stuffing out of Purdue.
Friends down in Tampa fly my friend, Chris, up on the next Thursday. Chris is a huge UM fan, and this will be his first game in UM Stadium. We spend Friday shopping and making things for the tailgate (Italian Beef sandwiches!). Saturday turns out to be a dreadful day...rainy with temps in the high 30's. Bill Lamping and one of his buddies join us, but it's not much fun tailgating in the rain. We trounce Illinois, but Chris and I leave after the third quarter. I'm looking at him during the game...my "Florida buddy"...all bundled up with rain dripping off of his cap. But he was happy to be there...and he never once complained about anything...a real "trooper"!
Gretchen and Roger decide to come up for the MSU game and bring the motor home...sweet! I'd forgotten how much fun it is to "RV" at the game. We're parked near the stadium Friday night...breakfast Saturday morning...big UM victory in the game...great post-game tailgate. All in all, a great weekend.
The next two weekends are away games. At Nebraska is a disaster...Denard Robinson goes down early with an arm injury, and our backup QB is awful...a painful loss. At Minnesota is much better...they've got Devin Gardner in at QB, and he looks mighty good in a UM victory.
Gretchen and Roger come back (with the motor home!) the next two weekends. We beat Northwestern, but it's a close win in overtime. Iowa is no problem. And, as always, tailgating in the motor home is a great experience. Plus...we're joined by all of our new friends that we met down in Dallas for the Alabama game.
I travel down to Ohio to visit Gretchen and Roger for the OSU game. The game, itself, is most disappointing, but it's still a fun weekend. Gretchen and Roger always celebrate Thanksgiving on Saturday, so it's a day of great food, family and friends.









No comments: