Tuesday, February 25, 2014

“Dispatches from the Pampas”...Day 14...Wednesday, February 14, 2014

If nothing else, I have gotten plenty of sleep on this trip. This morning, I don't even roll over until after 9:00AM. It's another beautiful day in wine country...so...the usual morning “drill” of cigar, coffee, yoghurt.
It seems like the beginning of another perfect day. Little do I know that potential “disaster” is but a few hours away. But...more on that later.
Today, I am visiting the Vino Cobos winery, and I am excited because one of the co-owners is one of my favorite winemakers, Paul Hobbes. His “home base” is in California, and his winery there produces deep, highly-extracted Cabernets. Since they retail for over $100.00 a bottle, I don't drink many (if any) of these. But he is a co-owner and/or consultant for a number of wineries around the world. Vino Cobos produces a great little wine called “Cocodrilo” which I buy by the case at home. It's under $15.00 a bottle, and it is an excellent blend of Malbec and Cabernet. If you can find it at a wine shop where you live, it is a wine that I highly recommend.
I have an appointment for a winery tour, tasting and “picnic lunch” at 12:20...so, around 11:00, I'm off. I've passed the road for Vino Cobos several times on my way to other wineries, so I know where I am going.
At 12:00 sharp, I arrive at a little guard shack at the entrance to the winery. A security guy comes out, asks my name, talks into his walkie-talkie, gets an answer and motions with his arm for me to drive behind the winery building and park. “Piece of cake”, I'm thinking. But as I drive towards the winery, there are several “options”. I choose what seems like the best “option” but,soon, I find myself on a little dirt road through the vineyards...and away from the winery. Eventually, I find myself back at the guard shack and, when the guard comes out, I tell him it's OK.
So now I head again to the winery and choose what seems like the second-best” option. But, soon, I am on another little dirt road through the vineyards...and away from the winery. I am heading back towards the guard shack, but I can not suffer shame of yet another driving “mistake”. So...I decide to back up and retrace my route. To say that this was a “mistake” would be an understatement of considerable proportions...I, apparently, have forgotten the famous phrase...”pride goeth before a fall”.
I back up...I do not see the irrigation ditch...my back wheels go two feet down into the ditch. I try to accelerate out...no luck. I try “rocking” the car...bow I'm three feet into the ditch. I am, as they would say in Spanish, “el stucko”.
Whoa...now I have to walk a third of a mile down the road in the hot sun back to the guard shack to explain my predicament. I wish that I could have photographed the guard's face as I explained what happened. The word “incredulous” comes to mind. He's back on his “walkie-talkie”.
About ten minutes later, two attractive young ladies come walking from the winery to the guard shack. One of them says...”Mr. William, we understand that there is a problem with your car. Let's go have a look”. So...the three of us walk the 1/3 mile back to my car. No problem, they tell me. One gets on her “walkie-talkie” and, soon, a grizzled old guy (the vineyard manager) rides up on a tractor. The first young lady asks me to give her my keys...”We will take care of everything. You should go to the winery, relax and enjoy yourself”. And, the other young lady takes me by the hand and leads me back to the winery. I did not see their “wings”, but I am convinced that these women were “angels” sent to protect and take care of me.
I am now hot, sweaty, thirsty, hungry...and concerned. But, inside the winery, the temperature is cool. I am seated in a big comfy chairs...a huge glass of ice water appears...then a glass of Malbec...I feel much better now.
My tour guide appears...yet another attractive young lady (I sense a “pattern” here). We chat for a half hour or so. Her wine knowledge and English are both very good, but she has only recently been hired. Now the tasting begins, and we are joined by groups of Brits, Aussies and Americans...maybe twenty in all. I opt for the “Malbec tasting”, but substitute “Cocodrilo” for one of the Malbecs...all great wines.
When the tasting is finished, we start the tour. People start asking questions. One Brit, in particular, is asking very, very technical questions. I can see that our guide is beginning to get a little flustered...not because she doesn't know the technical stuff, she's just having trouble translating it to English. And then, at one point, she finished answering a question about fermentation...and...turned to me...and said, “Perhaps Mr. William could also explain this process”. So...I got to give a little talk and display my wine knowledge. The guide turned to me again four or five different times on the tour, and I got to explain the benefits of oak-aging, the difference between French oak and American oak, etc. I have to say, it was all a lot of fun.
When the tour was over, I sat down inside for a “picnic lunch”...a big board with cheeses, meats, olives and really good bread. I was supposed to get one glass of a low-end red with my lunch, but my guide ended up pouring me two glasses of their high-end red...nice!
When I leave the winery building, there is my car...sitting in the parking lot. They even sprayed off the mud with a hose. So...I go back in and thank everyone once again for all of their kindness.
Now it's back to camp...after the obligatory stop at “Perin” for a big cup of excellent ice cream. Back at my cabina, I have work to do. Tomorrow, I leave Mendoza for a little camping trip. So...I check all my gear, top off the charge on my lantern and camera batteries.
When my work is finished, I relax with some wine and watch the sun set. Around 9:00, I heat up yesterday's leftovers for a “snack”...and more wine. At 11:00, I'm tucked into bed.
Big day tomorrow.

No comments: