Friday, February 7, 2014

"Dispatches from the Pampas"...Day 2...Friday, February 7, 2014

With the exception of one very minor "bump", things could not have gone smoother yesterday for my flight to Lima, Peru.
I left home around 11:00AM for my 4:30PM flight and had a leisurely drive down to the Crowne Plaza Miami Airport where I arranged parking. I got right in the correct lot, and a bellman was there to help with luggage when the van to the airport arrived a few minutes later. At check in for my flight on LAN airways, the nice young lady asked if I had my "Reciprocity Tax" receipt for Argentina. Of course I did! My bags weighed in well under the limit and my aisle seat was confirmed.
The one minor "bump" occurred in the line for security. One of the LAN people pulled me out of line, claiming that my carry-on bag was too big. I was told to return to the nice lady who checked me in. She, in turn, took me back to the line at security and engaged in a heated exchange with the people there. Bottom line...I got through WITH my bag.
I had time for a few beers and a snack before boarding. My aisle seat was comfortable and they had a great selection of free snacks and nice wines. Flight time was 5 1/2 hours, so I was able to watch "Gravity" (excellent), "Captain Phillips" (good) and about half of "The Incredible Now" (excellent).
Upon arrival in Lima at 10:00PM, I breezed through immigration and, after a long wait for my bags, I sailed through customs. Before I left home, I checked on what the cab fare should be from the airport to my hotel...$30.00. In the airport, I had a lot of people approach me to offer a deal on a taxi...$60.00. I ignored them and found a cab driver who agreed to make the trip for 90 Nuevo Soles AND let me smoke a cigar on the way.
My hotel, the Casa Andina Select, is very nice...very much a "business hotel". Although it was not my first choice in Lima, I got a great rate through Expedia. After checking in, I immediately headed out for "refreshments". There's a large park about a ten minute walk from my hotel...Parques Central y Kennedy. Around the park, there are lots of little restaurants, bars and cafes open late. So...I was able to enjoy a few beers (Cusquena and cristal were both good brands) and a few snacks. I did not see or partake of the local Peruvian "specialty"...roasted Guinea Pig.
I was not at a loss for "companionship". Lots of attractive young ladies approached me as I walked or sat next to me at the bar. One particular girl, Lucy, was admirably persistent, so I ended up buying her a beer. But, tired after a long day, I headed back to the hotel at 1:00AM for a good night's sleep.
This morning, I slept in until 8:30AM. I sat in front of the hotel with a cigar and a coffer for awhile before heading off for breakfast. I found a little cafe where I enjoyed cafe con leche and those nice fried pastries, churros.
After breakfast, I walked around the city (I'm staying in the Miraflores section) and did a lot of people watching. Also cat watching, as this city is full of feral cats...they're everywhere. So...I felt very much at home. Lima is a remarkably clean city...this morning, there were municipal workers everywhere sweeping up trash and washing down the sidewalks. The people are attractive...women and men alike are, for the most part, well-dressed. The culture is an interesting mix of the indigenous people, Spanish and Japanese.
Around 1:00PM, I went to a nice restaurant for lunch, Al Fresco. I had a few Pisco Sours, some excellent shrimp ceviche and tuna tartare...and a few beers. After lunch, more walking and people watching until 3:00PM or so. Then, it was time for my daily nap of 2-3 hours...from which I have just awakened. When I finish this blog p[ost, I'll be heading out for a few cocktails before dinner at a place called La Mar (renowned for seafood). I've got another full day here in Lima before flying on to Buenos Aires.

No comments: