Tuesday, August 28, 2012

"The Way West"...Day 73...Saturday, August 25, 2012

I'm not up this morning until almost 10:00AM and, after my "big night" on 6th Street last night, I'm moving kind of slow.
Coffee helps...and coffee with Bailey's is just the "lubricant" needed to get my rusty brain working again.
Today seems like the perfect day for a drive in the country...so...around 11:00 or so, I set off for the town of Taylor...about forty miles north and east of Austin. Taylor is home to Louie Muellar Barbecue which, on my last trip to Texas, I selected as my favorite Barbecue place.
Pulling into the parking lot, I see that it looks just the same. Inside, it's exactly as I remember it...cavernous, dimly lit...and very quiet. People come here not for revelry, but to eat...eat what is, perhaps, the best barbecue in Texas. I queue up in line...about 15th...and wait my turn. The pitmasters are friendly...I get two slices of "fatty" brisket, a sausage and potato salad. No beer sold here, so I get a coke instead. The brisket is outstanding...it's got a nice crust that's a little spicy from the black pepper in the rub...and the meat is juicy and tender. That's what sets the barbecue here apart from the others...it's easy to dry a brisket out during the long slow cooking process...but the meat here is moist. Sausage is also top-knotch...coarsely-ground meat and assertive spicing. Even the potato salad shows some extra care. As the nice lady at the cash register puts it..."We put a lot of love into our barbecue". So...for the time-being, Louie Mueller jumps into the #1 spot on my list.
Back at camp, it's a lazy day. I stay in the shade...watch a little TV...work on the Internet.
Around 5:00PM, I head down the street a short ways to the Shady Grove...a nice friendly little spot with good food,cold beer and interesting cocktails. I have a couple glasses of something called a "Shady Thang"...it's essentially a frozen Pisco Sour served in a big glass...very refreshing. At 7:00, I'm a little hungry...even after that big lunch. A half order of Pulled Pork Nachos is just what I need.
Back at camp, it's sundown...the weather's cooled off (a bit)...I've got beers iced down in the cooler...there are a few "Frasier" reruns and a Gary Cooper Western on TV.
Life is good.







No comments: