Thursday, July 4, 2013

"North to Alaska"...Day 29...Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A very relaxing day in one of my favorite towns, Whitehorse, Yukon Territory.
Up early because the sun never really “sets” here at this time of the year. A cup of Bill’s “cowboy coffee” before I brew a pot in the French Press.
Bill heads into town early for supplies and an oil change while I linger over coffee and a cigar.
Around 10:00, I head into town…I want to find the gallery with great native art and my favorite “divey” bar that I hung out in in 2008. I find both. Then, over to the Scotiabank for some cash from the ATM…wander the streets…friendly people.
I wander over to the “Meant and Sausage Deli” for lunch…Bill joins me. I get the “special”…cabbage rolls, sausages, mashed potatoes and gravy…excellent.
Bill continues his travels in town while I head back to the campground. I do some banking, Facebook and blog posts on the Internet.
At 4:00, I raise the “cocktail flag”…A Manhattan and some of my excellent spiced pecans. At around 6:30, Cousin Bill and I head back into town for pizza at Bellacios. I ate at this pizzeria back in 2008 on my first trip to Whitehorse. Back then, it was run by a nice lady who spent a few months working in New York City pizzarias perfecting her “technique”. It has since been sold to a very nice family…Dad, Mom, Daughter…and they have not missed a beat. We had an appetizer platter that included chicken wings that were crispy, meaty and flavorful. They make homemade tsatziki sauce with excellent spinach pies. The pizza was first-class…thin and crispy crust, tangy sauce, ample cheese and lots of toppings. Oh…and an excellent selection of beers and wines. All in all…a great meal!
Next, we head over to my favorite “dive” bar from my last trip up here…now it’s called “Paddy’s”. We immediately fall in with a group of very fun “First Nations” folks…and proceed to share beers, shots and great stories.
I think that the Yukon has the most “arthritis sufferers” in the world. Well…maybe not everybody has arthritis, but a whole lotta folks are using medicine. So…Cousin Bill and I share the medicine that we bought the night before…and our new friends share their medicine as well. WE drink well into the night, and we repeat many times the national motto of the Yukon…”hey, it’s the fu@#$% Yukon man”.
A “wobbly” drive back to the campground. Cousin Bill to bed immediately…a few late beers for me.
I go to bed around 1:00AM…it’s still bright outside…and there’s still traces of gold and red from the setting sun on the horizon.
I love the Yukon

No comments: