Friday, June 17, 2011

Bill & Ed's Excellent Adventure...Day 3...Friday, June 17, 2011...A Triumph of Technology


I set out for Boston this morning virtually "naked"...no maps, guidebooks, addresses or directions...just my phone. I had to drive about 25 miles to Quincy to get the train...Google took care of the directions.
I felt like seafood, and Legal Seafoods serves some of the best...used Google to get the address. I have an "app" on my phone called "HopStop"...you pick your city, enter a starting point and a destination and...voila...HopStop gives you a detailed route using public transportation...awesome!!!!
At 11:30, I'm sitting at the Legal Seafoods bar enjoying a Pinot Gris from Trimbach and perusing the menu...some raw oysters, lobster bisque, and some tuna sashimi is a perfect lunch. I'm telling the cute bartender about my trip and, soon, a couple of waiters, the hostess and the manager are listening intently...sometimes inspiring envy is an enjoyable experience.
After lunch, HopStop takes me on the Red and Green Subway Lines, then a few stops on the CT1 bus to Toscanini's...#3 on my all-time list of great ice cream places in the world. I'm having three giant scoops...malted vanilla, cocoa pudding and salted caramel...WOW...this is some great ice cream!!
All that ice cream has made me thirsty...so...I use my phone to find the closest bar, "The Fields" for a glass of Zinfandel...then on to another bar for another glass...and another.
Around 4:00, HopStop gets me from downtown Boston back to Quincy for the drive back to camp.
Technology is amazing!
Tomorrow, I'll be taking the train to the airport to meet my friend, Ed, who is joining me for the remainder of the trip. They're having a parade tomorrow to celebrate the Bruins' Stanley Cup win...so...public transportation is definitely in order.

No comments: