Thursday, May 29, 2014

"Dispatches from the Pampas"...Day 23...Friday, February 27, 2014

Ah...another great night of sleep. Now I'm up and down to the hotel restaurant for my standard breakfast of cafe con leche, yoghurt and granola.
After breakfast, I again make the trek down to the shopping district...then further along to the big wide street that runs along the water near the harbor. As lunchtime approaches, I hike back to my hotel, grab my bathing suit and head for the Conrad. Once there, I head for the pool and snag a locking cabana to change. It's hot and sunny today, and a dip in the pool feels great. Soon, a waiter appears, and I'm able to get him to bring up the last of the Torrontes that the hotel has been holding for me. A table for the poolside restaurant is a mere five feet away, so I slide over there for lunch...another Chivito, a half-bottle of Malbec, a salad, more dulce de leche ice cream. My Chivito is excellent, and bigger than the one I had yesterday...more meat, more everything.
Stuffed yet again, I slip into the jacuzzi for fifteen minutes or so. This, along with the wine consumed at lunch, makes me a bit sleepy. So...I find a nice lounge chair in the shade and settle in for a snooze. My snooze ends up lasting almost three hours, but I awake alert and refreshed.
On the way out of the Conrad, I stop at the bar to chat with my new favorite bartender. I'm not ready just quite yet for more wine, so I order an ice water. Back in Florida, before I left for South America, I ran across some wines from Uruguay at my local wine/liquor store. Both the white (Torrontes) and the red (Tannat) were excellent wines, so I made a note of the winery (Pisano) and the location (Progreso). I mention the winery to my bartender...tell him that I'd like to visit, but can't handle another 700 mile drive (like in Argentina). Well, he tells me...depending upon the direction of travel, if you drive 700 miles in Uruguay, you end up in one of three places...Argentina, Brazil or the Atlantic ocean, It's a small country, this Uruguay. He's originally from Montevideo, and he tells me that Progreso is only twenty miles from downtown. So...later, back at my hotel, I send Pisano Winery a message telling them that I'd like to drive out next week for a tour and, maybe, lunch,
Around 9:00, I'm hungry again and, not wanting another long trek into downtown, I opt once again for the Conrad. On the lower floor, they have a Pan-Asian restaurant and disco...sounds perfect. I saddle up to the bar for a Jack Daniels...but they don't have Jack or any bourbons either. They so have cachaca, the cane liwuor from Brazil...and limes...so I have the bartender make me a Caippirinha. It's a good one...real good. So, I have two more. I order a bowl of scallop ceviche (very good) and dumplings (excellent)...more wine. The music is loud, but not particularly interesting...not quite disco...not quite techno.
By 12:00, I've had enough...time for bed. Back at my hotel, I have a reply from Pisano Winery. Daniel, one of three brother who own and manage the winery, tells me that Pisano is in the wine business, not the entertainment business. As such, they don't have tours or a restaurant. However, he tells me that he's got some big customers from Brazil and the Czech Republic coming in on Monday. They will get a tour, and Daniel will serve lunch in the dining room of his home. Since I know and enjoy Pisano wines, he asks me to join them. I send my reply..."See you on Monday!".

No comments: