Friday, July 24, 2009

Out West...Day 2, Thursday, July 23, 2009






Today was one of those days to savor...a perfect "gem". We're all up early, and Dick/Diane prepare a fabulous breakfast...thin "French-style omelets with Manchego cheese, locally-smoked salmon and fresh asparagus...it's as good as breakfast can get. Then, still full, we head out on our bikes to travel Eau Claire's extensive bike trails. Seven miles or so in all, punctuated by a few well-timed "beer stops".
Dick and Diane are very fortunate people because they live in a place where the "quality of life" rating is off the map. Eau Claire is one of the nicest towns that have ever visited...a beautiful location, ample recreation, a "college atmosphere", great restaurants, fun bars...it is easily on my list of the Top 10 Places to Live...Top 5, actually. It's a very close "small-town" atmosphere....as we bicycle around, we're running into all of these people that are friends of Dick and Diane who, as is very clear, are loved , respected and admired in their community.
Our biking complete, we head back to Dick and Diane's for a few more beers, relaxing in the yard and enjoying the weather and the company. Their friend (and mine) Jerry, stops by with his wife, daughter and granddaughter...more beers!
Around 6:00PM, Dick and Diane head out to dinner with some other friends, and I have the opportunity to explore a little of Eau Claire on my own. I head down to Water Street...a little "cluster" of nice bars and restaurants. I have a great little thin-crust pizza, a Caesar Salad, and several glasses of wine at the Mona Lisa restaurant....excellent Then, a little bar-hopping. Wisconsin has more "bars per capita" than any other state, and Eau Claire is no exception. Every bar has absolutely GREAT beer on tap...Stella, Leinenkugel's...all my favorites. But tonight, I'm enjoying an old favorite that is making a comeback...every bar ha Schlitz on tap. When I was a boy, Schlitz was one of the Country's best beers, but it fell on hard times until recently, when a new owner committed to restore it to it's prior place of honor. It's a good beer...and...it's only a buck and a half a glass.
After several pins, I'm ready to head back to Dick and Diane's for bed. Along the way, it occurs to me that, perhaps, I should have made do with several less pints of Schlitz because I soon find myself lost during the mile or so walk back. But...some expert coaching by Dick via cellphoe, and I'm back home for a great night's sleep.

No comments: