Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Picnic Wednesday






It's 11:00PM, and I'm almost through for the day/night.
My back feels like I went twelve rounds with Tommie Hearns facing backwards. My legs have been cramping up since 6:00PM...but...it's been a productive day. I got started around 6:00AM and immediately whipped up a batch of Nouvelle Chocolate Sauce...it's an easy recipe, and I usually start with that. As the day goes on, I make (in no particular order)Spring Roll Sauce, Szechuan Peanut Sauce,Sesame Sauce,Yakitori Sauce, Teriyaki Sauce, Vietnamese Pork/Beef Rub, Ginger Ice Cream, Lemongrass Gelato,Saffron Coconut Ice Cream and two Cheesecakes (Reese's PB Cup and Durian). Oh...then there's the twenty quarts EACH of Viet Pho (beef) Broth and Japanese Chicken Stock for Noodles.
I've only got a few things left...strain, cool and store the Broth/Stock...make a batch of Caramel Sauce and put together two quarts of Absinthe and Truffle Ice Cream (it's going to be really good).
Last weekend was problematic...lots of people had plans for the weekend. Still...I did get some very hard-working volunteers. Maureen did Yeoman's service helping to roll about 200 dumplings. Mark Birnhart stopped by for a few hours and rolled dumplings along with the rest of us. Later, Ron and Brenda, along with Brian Ribando, stopped in for more dumpling rolling.
Angi came by late after work and she, Moe and I had grilled steak and some vegetable frittatas for dinner. On Sunday, Angi volunteered for the "worst-case" job...cleaning my back "cupboards from hell"...two plus hours of really nasty work.
Food-wise, we got everything done that was planned for the weekend. Cleaning-wise, we were not so fortunate. I've still got to find the time and the volunteers to get the house in "Picnic shape" before Saturday.
One note on the "Durian" Cheesecake. What looks like a hedgehog and smells like rotting compost? It's the Durian fruit, called by some the "king of fruits". As you can see in the photos, you've got to cut/pry the hull apart to get at the "sacks" of custard-like fruit. I was lucky today, as my Durian was not nearly as malodorous as expected...only an occasional "whiff" of something truly evil.
Once the cooking is done for today/tonight, I will be spending an hour or so in my Jacuzzi tub...Heineken in hand. Then, off to bed...to rise tomorrow at 6:00AM and start all over again. I can hardly wait!

Oh, and for you trivia buffs...it is illegal in every southeast Asia country to carry Durian fruit on any public transportation.

No comments: