Friday, July 31, 2009

Out West Day 6...Many Glacier Campground, Glacier National Park





I'm up early again, eager for a great hike. I'll be taking the Swiftcurrent Trail...about a 2 03 on the Difficulty Scale) along Swiftwater Lake, a falls, and finally to Bullhead Lake for lunch before hiking back. It's a beautiful trail...through forest meadows...and along the river. I come to the falls, and they are absolutely beautiful. The hike is going well for me...all those "practice hikes" at home, pushing myself to go an extra mile...two miles...they have prepared me for the real thing. I get to Bullhead Lake around 1:00PM, and gt out the "pocket rocket" (isobutane cooker), my titanium cup, water and some Korean Ramen noodles ("gourmet-style with sweet soy and hot chili oil). Sitting next to the lake, surrounded by wondrous mountains...it's hard to imagine a better lunch. I am soon joined by two dining "companions", Chippie and Dippie, the Prairie Dogs...they're friendly little guys, so I don't mind. But, soon, they're crawling into my pack...and...now they've latched on to a package of peanut butter crackers. Not shy, Chippie opens the package with ease, and soon he and Dippie are munching away. I know that you're not supposed to feed the animals, but what could I do?
After lunch, I head back down the trail to my camp. I have to say that, at this point, I'm pretty tired. This is almost a 10 mile hike and my longest "practice hike" was 6.
Soon, I'm rally tired and really thirsty. Nearing my camp, I cry out..."Cibola!...Cibola! tonight I will bathe in your fountains of icy Heineken and drink from your limpid pools of Margaritas!".
As I reach camp, I collapse...tired, but happy. Soon, I'm drinking down the first cold Magarita...then a great dinner of sliced pork in Singapore Black Pepper Sauce and Rice (thanks for the spice packages, Ed and Molly!).
Around 9:00PM, it starts to rain, so it's off to bed for me.

No comments: