Friday, September 5, 2008

Day 49...Labor Day...Lingering in Seattle Before Heading Down to Portland






After all of that sushi last night (not to mention the sake), I slept in late this morning and decided to stay awhile longer in Seattle for lunch.
I walked over to Pike Place Market...one of the great markets in the world for seafood, vegetables, fruit...you name it.
I found another one of my favorite Tom Douglas restaurants, Etta's Seafood, and had a great lunch of Dungeness Crab Salad and Dungeness Crab Cakes...and...they also had that great Coconut Cream Pie!
After lunch, it was time to head down to Portland...a three hour drive or so. I checked in to the Vintage Plaa Hotel, a nice place with a wine-themed decor. I arrived just in time for their nightly wine tasting...life is good.
Later in the evening, I hiked over to Portland's "Pearl District" for dinner. Choices were limited, this being Labor Day, but I found a nice place called "Paragon". I had a light meal of pasta and more of that great local Pinot Noir. The General Manager was eating next to me, and we had an interesting conversation about the restaurant business, Anthony Bourdain, and interesting little bars in Portland. Based on his recommendation, I ended up at "Kelli's Athenian" for a few beers before heading off for bed.
Tomorrow, I'll be spending a leisurely day in Portland and, hopefully, getting my hair cut. Lately, I've notice that I've been getting "the look" at some of the nicer bars, restaurants, hotels, etc. We all know "the look"...if the person wears glasses, "the look" always comes over the top. "The look" is often accompanied by the words..."may I help you?". But what they really mean is..."you don't really look like you belong here". Perhaps my eight-week growth of hair and five-week growth of beard has something to do with that...the "scruffy camper look". Anyway, I am definitely not used to getting "the look" and, although I find it more amusing than anything else, it's time to "descuff"!

No comments: