Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Out West Day 7...Tuesday, July 28, 2009...Glacier National Park




It rained all of last night, and there's still an intermittent drizzle as I get up this morning. Not a good day for hiking, so I decide to do some "housekeeping". I met Don, from Seattle, who's got the campsite next to mine. He had been the manager of a major sporting goods store in Seattle until they recently "went under". He's on his way from Seattle to visit family in Montana and decided to spend a few days in Glacier.
I invite him over for a cup of coffee, and he raves about the coffee. Before my trip to Alaska last year, I spent a lot of time brainstorming the "coffee issue". The lack of electricity is the main issue (although my Escape Hybrid does have a plug for very (VERY) low wattage use...it'll charge a cell phone, but it can't run much of anything with a motor). After all of my research, I brought along a basic spice grinder (I can run it off the Escape if I use five second "pulses"), a Bodum insulated French Press Pot, and a Nissan/Thermos bottle. Every morning, I grind my bans while I boil a pot of water. When the water is hot, it goes in the Bodum on top of the ground beans to steep for four minutes. I pour myself a cup, and the rest goes in the Thermos where it will stay hot overnight. This system produces a cup of coffee as good as, if not better, than what I can make at home.
After breakfast, I decide to head in to the town of St. Marys where, I'm told, I'll get a cell phone signal as well as Wi-Fi at the St. Marys Lodge...not quite. The closest town with an ATT signal is Browning, and that's forty miles. So...off I go to Browning. While there, I make a few calls and head back to St. Mary. The Lodge has a terrible Wi-Fi signal, so I head over to Johnson's Campground and pay for an hour of Internet access. I write out a few Blog posts, but can't upload photos. That will have to wait.
Back at my campsite, I do a little reading...I'm reading "The Last Campaign" about Robert F. Kennedy's campaign for the Democratic nomination in 1968. It's a fascinating book...no matter what you might think of RFK, there is no question that he was extraordinarily driven and compassionate. A great read, but a sad ending.
Around 6:30 or so, I make dinner. I bought a few groceries in Browning, so tonight I'm having sliced pork in Singapore Black Pepper Sauce with some rice. It's good as is the bottle of Spanish Tempranillo that goes with it. Then...a few beers sitting around my campfire, and it's off to bed.
No great photos taken today, so I'll post a few more from yesterday's hike. Including one of the deer that crossed my path about a mile or so from camp.

No comments: