Thursday, July 28, 2011

Bill & Ed's Excellent Adventure...Day 41...Monday, July 25, 2011..."Terror in the Night"



Ah...there's nothing like taking a nap on Gretchen and Roger's deck in the late evening...a nice dinner, great wine and, now, a chance to snooze a bit. Jasmyn's toddlers have got their squirt guns, and they're at it again. They love to squirt their "Uncle Bill", and they're really letting me have it...I'm soaked from head to toe. But, now, I'm thinking that there is something wrong with this picture...I'm in Newfoundland, and the "toddlers" are hundreds and hundreds of miles away.
Now, I'm awake in my tent, and I am drowning in water...it's pouring over my face...my sleeping bag and sleeping pad are soaked. Groggily, I struggle to find my headlamp...and the light reveals the truth...I've got a half inch of water in my tent. No matter where it's coming from...I've got to get out. Outside, it's cold, rainy and windy...and I am soaked to the skin. Into the Escape for a minute's respite...then back out to the rear to find clothes. There's nowhere to go, so I've got to change in the rain...then back into the Escape. It's a ;little after 3:00AM, and I have nowhere to go. So...for the next four hours, I sit in the Escape...no satellite radio in this location...just me in the silent Escape.
Ed is up around 7:30...there will be no coffee in this rain. So...we decide to head into "town"...everything closed up tight at this hour. Now...back to the campground...pack up the tent and everything else in the rain...off we go.
We're heading to the north end of Gros Morne Park to camp at Shallow Bay Campground. After a half hour or so, we get to a gas station...coffee!
Then, it's onward...upward for about seventy miles...to the town of Rocky Harbor. We stop for gas and, then, breakfast...the "Caribou sausage special"...excellent.
By now, the rain has stopped, so we head over to the Visitor's Center for guidance and WiFi.
Then we drive to Shallow Bay Campground and make camp. There's a nice couple next to us from Ottawa, so we chat with them while we're setting up the tent. Now it's time for some well-deserved cocktails...followed by linguine with red sauce and moose sausage...thanks to our friend, Gary.
The tent and everything else has sat out for awhile in the (rare) sun. Everything but the sleeping pad is dry...I use the backup pad...everything is OK.
A gull swoops into camp...amusing until he makes off with a Caribous sausage...it's all part of the "Camping Life".
I'm in my tent...things are dry...I'm off to sleep...life is good (again).

No comments: