Friday, July 25, 2008

Day 10...Thursday, July 24, 2008...Fort Nelson to Muncho Lake...Spectacular Views, challenging Roadways, A Few Mountain Sheep and 300 Spartans









WOW...an absolute spectacular drive today through the northern Canadian Rockies. I left Fort Nelson late after deciding to spend a night at the Northern Rockies Lodge in Muncho Lake...recommended by a number of people in Fort Nelson.
Weather was perfect and the road was excellent heading northwest up and over the Canadian Rockies. Not far out of Fort Nelson, I came across a "mountain sheep crossing" (see photos). I stopped briefly and thought about how attractive sheep can be...and how sensuous female sheep can be...then I thought...Wow!...I've been on the road too long...and maybe I should just get back in my vehicle and go before I get in a "rutting contest" that I just can't win.
Further on, I went through Summit Lake Pass (see photo of approach) and miles upon miles of great views of mountains, riverbeds and more (see photos). At around 3:00PM, I came around a bend in the road, and I was driving right next to Muncho Lake (photo). It was absolutely beautiful there. I stayed at the Northern Rockies Lodge in a small "cozy cabin" (more photos). The owners were Swiss, and my limited knowledge of German helped me get my cabin and some really excellent service.
Dinner was pretty good...N.Y. Strip, spaetzle, salad...and a really, really good banana split. About the time that my dessert arrived, a busload of people came in...some wearing MSU shirts. Of all the cruel luck...I'm in the middle of nowhere, and I run into a bunch of Spartans! Still, in this part of the world, even Spartans can be a friend (Spartans, mind you, not Buckeyes). We shared a few beers and more than a few stories...immediately after I went back to my cabin and put on my best UM shirt.
Back at my cabin, I polished off a bottle of 2007 Juan Gill Spanish Monastrell...fantastic. Appropriately "sedated", I slept like a baby.

Daily Wound Report
Still healing well...good thing that I've always been a fast "healer". A little "itching", and that's a good sign.

Thursday's Music
Well, even my Sirius satellite radio is "iffy" now. So...lots of CD's...more classical...Dvorak's 9th Symphony...a rousing piece of music composed after Dvorak spent a few months in the U.S. at a colony of Czech immigrants in Iowa...some traditional American folk melodies woven in there. Mahler's Symphony #1 (The Titan")...great for driving. And..."Monster Hits of the 80's...the Bangles, Tears for Fears, etc.

1 comment:

Renee said...

Spartans in the Wild? Who let them loose? How funny your that far from home and you still find fans of a local college.

I love the pictures of the wild life. I would love to see a bear in the wild. Leave the sheep alone though they don't like human "contact".

Drive Safe and Have a great time.

Kisses and Hugs
Nay