Monday, July 28, 2008

Day 14...Fairbanks to Chena Hot Springs and Back...Chilly, Rainy and Overcast






Today, I slept late at my hotel in Fairbanks.
For lunch, I drove up to Chena Hot Springs to the resort there 60 miles or so north and east of Fairbanks. It's a very nice resort with a lodge, a very good restaurant and, of course, the hot springs. It's a place that I might stay after Paul and Hunter head back to Michigan.
Other than that, I didn't do much today. The weather was chilly, rainy and overcast...people here say this is the worst summer in Alaska in decades. Two of the "harbingers" of fall, or the official end of summer, have already arrived here. "Terminal Dust" refers to the first light dusting of snow on certain mountaintops...they had it last week. And the other sign that signals the end of summer is the appearance of "fireweed"...it was all over the edges of the road on the way to Chena Hot Springs.
Tomorrow, I'll be leaving Fairbanks for the town of Talkeetna just south of Denali National Park. I'm hoping that the weather is clear because there should be some spectacular views of Mt. McKinley and other mountains along the way. If you remember the old TV show, Northern Exposure, about the small town in Alaska, then you already know a little a little about Talkeetna, the town that inspired the show.
There are a couple of places there that rent cabins...my new preferred accommodation.
No photos today...not much to photograph in this weather. I saw two more moose today on the drive to Chena Hot Springs...just moose, no squirrel. And, I still can't upload yesterday's photos from my hotel. I'll post them at my next stop.

Daily Wound Report
This morning, I went to a small "Walk-In" Clinic next to my hotel and paid $175.00 for a "wound check". The Doctor was surprised that I had healed so quickly...so...no more antibiotic cream or dressings are necessary. But...no lifting for one full month following the surgery and, though hiking is not recommended now, I should be OK for "light hiking" (no pack) in Denali in two weeks or so.

Today's Music
Two great CD's from the Cardigans and my favorite Argentine Tango Compilation CD...great music for a dreary day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the blog brother...but need the photo's! I feel like I am with you. I can't wait to hear about the hot springs.

How is the wine there? Any great finds?

Culturally are there many differences?

Miss ya, love ya
Terri

Tiger said...

More beautiful pictures...your going to have to burn me a cd of just the pictures.
Terry made a good point, how is the local wines?
smootches, Lorei