Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Day 15...Fairbanks to Talkeetna...A Great Day...Spectacular Views Around Denali and a Fun Drive











I left Fairbanks for Talkeetna this morning around 11:00AM. It rained most of the night and into the morning.
I stopped about 40 miles south of Fairbanks for a good burger at the "Moderosa Grill" on Highway 3. Heading toward Denali, I was apprehensive about the weather which was dark and overcast...I wondered if I'd even get to see any part of Mt. McKinley. About 20 miles or so from the Park entrance, I had some great luck as the clouds parted and the sun came out. As a result, I was able to get some absolutely fantastic photos of Mt. McKinley. At almost 4 miles high, the saying is that it makes it's own weather. The whole drive was mile after mile of brilliant scenery. Route 3 was good for much of the trip, except for a ten mile stretch south of the Park entrance where the road was under construction, and everyone had to travel in a line behind a "pilot vehicle".
At about 6:30PM, I left Highway 3 to take the "Talkeetna Cut-off". As I entered the town, I had the best view of Mt. McKinley yet...as you can see from the photos. I like Talkeetna...it's just what I expected...local, "quirky" and fun. I was very lucky to get a room at the Talkeetna Roadhouse...a very nice room right above the best restaurant in town. I can't wait for tomorrow morning because the Roadhouse is famous for their cinnamon rolls, and I'm going to be waking up to the smell of them baking in the kitchen right below my room.
Now. something very embarrassing...last night in Fairbanks, I went for Ice Cream at a really great place called "Hot Licks"...they are famous for their gourmet "small batch" ice cream. It was there that I made an incredibly stupid mistake that only a tourist can make. All that I can tell you is that if you come up here to Alaska do not, repeat, do not order "moose tracks" or "moose droppings" ice cream...they use the real thing up here, and it is absolutely disgusting. OK...lesson learned.
Tomorrow, I'll be sleeping in late again and then heading down to Anchorage. I'm going to do a little walking around and shopping there before stopping at the home of Paul's sister and brother-in-law, Mary and Warren. We'll be picking up Paul and Hunter at the airport at 10:00Pm...they are going to love it up here!

Daily Wound Report
I know that many of you will be deeply disappointed, but I have decided to discontinue the "Daily Wound Report". I am sorry about this because I know that a lot of you eagerly awaited this report each day. But, with everything healing up so well, there's just nothing to report anymore.

More later...enjoy the photos

2 comments:

Tiger said...

The pictures are BEAUTIFUL! I love mountains and I bet it is just breath taking with fresh air.
Seriously they main moose tracks with really moose droppings? Are you sure it wasn't just a tourist prank they played??? Why on earth would anyone eat moose poo in ice cream? UGH. Glad your healing nicely. Hugs and Kisses,
Lorei

Unknown said...

I never knew you had such a lyrical side! It is almost as much fun reading your posts as it would be to be there with you (well...maybe not quite :0)