Saturday, July 26, 2008

Day 12, Saturday, July 26, 2008...Watson Lake to Whitehorse...Close to Alaska







About a 320 mile drive today through dark overcast skies and chilly rainy weather. I traveled parallel to the B.C./Yukon border crossing back and forth for about a hundred miles. The Canadian Rockies are now behind me, but new ranges appear around every curve. The tall peak with the snow on top is Dawson Peak (1966m), one of the tallest in the Cassiar Mountain range.
I'm already in the Pacific time zone and, today, I crossed the Continental Divide between Rancheria and Swift River. Tomorrow, I'll be heading northwest again, but mostly north parallel to the Yukon/Alaska border. I should have some great scenery tomorrow as, early on, I'll be going through part of the Kluane National Park and Preserve and, later, the Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve. I expect to hit the Alaskan border just north of Beaver Creek sometime in the early afternoon.
Tonight, I'm in the town of Whitehorse, the capitol of the Yukon Territory. Compared to the other Yukon towns where I've stayed, Whitehorse is pretty big. They even have a sushi bar.
I've enjoyed my drive through B.C. and the Yukon, but it sure will feel good to be back in the USA tomorrow.

Animal Sightings Report
Not much today because of the weather. I saw more black bears, but now I've seen so many...if they're not playing a musical instrument, juggling or performing some other clever trick, I don't even slow down.
Just north of the town of Teslin, I saw a red fox trotting down the side of the road with a rabbit in his mouth. Before I could get my camera out, he'd ducked into some cover.
One thing that I find curious is the fact that I have not yet seen a moose. I've passed a thousand signs telling me to watch out for them and I drove for three hundred miles on a highway nicknamed "Moose Alley", and still nothing.

Daily Wound Report
Still doing great...healing up nicely. Hopefully, I can camp in another week or two and hike in another two or three.

One last thing...I ran into two gals from Niles, Michigan last night in the restaurant at my hotel in Watson Lake. One of them retired as a teacher in the Niles school system and then took a job teaching outside of Anchorage. They both loved my "NILEZ" license plates.

1 comment:

Renee said...

The elusive Moose. If you don't see one its still better than having one as a hood ornament. Niles lets you know he is never far from you. Be safe drive careful.

Hugs n Kisses
Nay