Sunday, July 20, 2008

R & R in Calgary

Day 5...Saturday, July 19, 2008...Calgary
Today, I decided to drive on past my scheduled stop in Medicine Hat, Alberta to Calgary. With Paul's help, I was able to book two nights at the Westin Hotel. The folks here at the Westin could not have been more helpful...helping to unload a ton of camping gear and putting me on the "preferred business floor" with high-speed Internet, unlimited calls in North America, free breakfast and a really, really comfortable bed.
I got in around 5:30PM and had an early dinner at the Vintage Chop House...forty-day dry-aged buffalo rib eye steak, creamed spinach and two glasses of Argentinian Malbec...for awhile, I finally felt human again. I went back to the hotel and slept ten hours.

Day 6...Sunday, July 20, 2008...Calgary
I was up at 9:00AM this morning and had a big breakfast. I wish that I could say that I have spent the day exploring Calgary but, to be honest, I have slept most of the day. I have observed that the people here are pretty friendly and the city itself is very clean and well-maintained.
I did take a walk over to the downtown mall to get some medical supplies at the drug store. Today, I need to change the bandages applied at surgery, so I wanted to get some powerful antibiotic ointment and replacement bandages.
Tonight, I'm having dinner at the River Cafe (http://www.river-cafe.com/), a short walk from my hotel. They specialize in "up-scale" interpretations of regional Canadian cuisine, so I should be able to get a game dish and some other interesting things.
Tomorrow, it's on to Edmonton, just a short drive of 180 miles or so. I may stay an extra day in Edmonton because, once I leave there, I'm going to be in pretty desolate territory until I get to Anchorage. From Edmonton, I'll be driving over the Canadian Rockies to Dawson Creek, British, Columbia and, from there, to Watson Lake, Fort Nelson and Whitehorse. It's a little under 2000 miles from Edmonton to Anchorage so, at this point, I've completed less that a third of the trip, and I've got a long way to go.
I'm not sure what kind of phone reception I'll have once I leave Edmonton, so don't be concerned if I'm out of touch for a few days. Likewise with Internet access...after Edmonton, I may not be able to post again until Anchorage.
One final note, please don't call me on my cell phone tomorrow between 1:00PM and 2:00PM...I'll be downloading my weekly ringtones from Kanye West, Lil' Wayne and Young Jeezy.



2 comments:

Tiger said...

The Hotel sounds very nice. Glad you treated yourself to a bed to help recover. Take it easy and don't worry about your time table we won't send out the search party unless you fail to update your wonderful trip in a reasonable amount of time. LOL Stay safe. Hugs and kisses, Lorei

Laurie A said...

Your Bill: Your blog is excellent. Please continue to tell us the names of the resturants that you are visiting. The River Cafe sounded fabulous. Was the food as good as you anticipated? I checked out the web site and went into a stupor just dreaming about being there.

I am worried that you are pushing too hard. You have no deadlines. Please take it easy because we will send out that search party. You need TLC after the operation.
Go Blue! Laurie Artz