Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Down South...Day Seventy-One...Monday, February 8, 2010

By the time that I woke up this morning, Kathy was long gone for work. So...I had a few cups of coffee, watched the news, did a little Internet work, and packed up to leave.
By 10:30 AM, I was on the road to visit Dave and Marschia Valentovich in Wilmington, Delaware. Ah...but first...there's that stop that I have to make in my hometown, Philadelphia. I checked the Internet this morning, and I got a list of the 10 Best Places for Hoagies in Philadelphia. A place called Pastificios is both open on Mondays and on my way.
If you've never had a Philadelphia "Hoagie", you've missed out on one of the great sandwiches of the world. Premium Italian coldcuts, lettuce, onion and tomato...dressed wit a little olive oil and oregano...and the BUN. A hoagie bun here is unique...some say it's the water in Philly...in any case, it's crusty without being hard and has some special property that keeps it from getting soggy.
The folks at Pastificios are friendly (this is, after all, the "City of Brotherly Love"), particularly when I mention that am from Philly and enjoying my fist hoagie in several years. I also pick up some TastyCakes (yum!)...Butterscotch Crimpets and Peanut Butter CandyCakes are my favorits!).
Then, it's back on the road to Dave and Marschia's. Marschia is home from school as a result of the aftermath of "Snowmageddon", so we are all able to sit down and enjoy our hoagies together. They are, by the way, outstanding!
Then, as close friends do, we sit around and talk about all of the great times that we have had together. They've stocked a bottle of Bushmills, so I have a few of those while Marscia prepares dinner.
And...it's not just "any" dinner. Tonight, it's homemade beef stew, homemade dinner rolls, and homemade Tiramisu...and, let me tell you, it's all GREAT! Marscia is one of the best cooks that I know.
I bring in my iPod and boombox so that we can listen to a little Frank"...that's Frank as in Sinatra. It's a relaxing evening...all the more so with Dave and Marscia's five cats...just like home...maybe even better.
There is, however, one "dark cloud" on the horizon. I managed to survive "Snowmageddon" by hightailing it out of Washington and up to Princeton, but now a new horror is on the way. "Snowpocalypse" is on it's way tomorrow...and they're predicting 18" to 24" inches here tomorrow night and Wednesday morning. Wilmington hasn't even dug out of the 24" from the last storm...so...this is going to be interesting.
I'll post photos for this post later...the WiFi at Borders leaves MUCH to be desired.

No comments: