Sunday, February 7, 2010

Down South...Day Sixty-Six...Wednesday, February 3, 2010






My bed at the Days Inn is particularly comfortable, and I have "slept like a rock" until after 9:00AM. Now...how to spend the day? I could bar-hop...always my first choice. Or, I could do something "interesting and productive". Hmm...let's do "interesting and productive".
But first, there's lunch! Years ago, a place called A.W. Shucks was my favorite lunch stop. Then, during one of my many stops in Charleston, I was chatting up some cute gal at a bar...she was a chef at A.W. Sucks, and she had some highly uncomplimentary things to say about the kitchen there. So, A.W. Shucks went off of my preferred lunch list. Then, several years later, I stopped back in for a cocktail and related my story to the bartender. Soon, the manager was taking me on a tour of the kitchen and it was, well, pretty clean and neat. So now, A.W. Shucks is back on the list.
Settling in at the bar, I have an excellent Stoli Bloody Mary (or two). A.W. Shuck's signature dish is their "crab meat stuffed, bacon-wrapped fried shrimp...so I gotta order those. And they are pretty darn good...washed down with a couple of "Low-Country Lagers" (the large size, please).
OK...now for the "interesting and productive" stuff. Out in Charleston Harbor is Fort Sumter and it was there that the fist shots of the Civil War were fired. Coincidentally enough, on my birthday...April 12, 1861. Hey!...that's the birth DATE, not the YEAR, smart guy! Soon, I'm taking a relaxing ferry ride across the harbor and out to the Fort. Fort Sumter is a National Monument, so there's a Park Ranger providing historical commentary along the way. There's not much to see...a lot of the Fort was destroyed, not by the Confederate Army capturing it, but by the Union Army trying to take it back. Still, they've done a lot of excavation and restoration, so you get a good feel for what it was like over a century ago. Then, back on the Ferry and across the harbor again to the city.
A nice walk later, I'm back at T-Bonz for a few more local lagers before heading back to my hotel to freshen up for dinner.
I can never get enough oysters, and Hyman's is right near my hotel...so I'm back there for another platter of fried oysters. Then, 'm thinking that it will be a whole year before I'm back her...a whole year before I can again have "the Cake". So...it's back to the Peninsula for "the cake, Part II"...this time accompanied by a large glass of milk...pretty close to the perfect dessert. T-Bonz is right down the street...so in for a nightcap (or four) before bed.
A long drive tomorrow...544 miles to Northern Virginia, just outside of D.C.

No comments: