Monday, June 11, 2012

40th (and Final) Summer Picnic

Well...it only took forty years, but I finally devised a menu to minimize both prep time during Picnic week and finishing work on Saturday.
Shopping on Monday and Tuesday were relatively smooth and uneventful. Monday's trip covered Costco and Meijer for non-perishable items. Tuesday covered meat from Sparrow Market, seafood from Monohan's, specialty items from Zingerman's and dairy products from Calder dairy.
I was home and unpacked by 4:00PM on both days.
Wednesday, Thursday and Friday were the easiest prep days in many years. My cousin, Bill, flew in on Tuesday to help...then promptly spent both Tuesday and Wednesday fixing the powder room toilet and the sprayers in the kitchen. Brian Ribando, Mark Birnhart and others stopped by during the week to help. On every day of prep, we finished on or ahead of schedule by early evening...leaving time for nice dinners and a few cocktails.
The "Big Day", Saturday, was more of the same...all of our prep work was completed by noon...and all we needed were guests. Serving was smooth and efficient...all appetizers served by 4:00PM or so...and a steady stream of main courses between 6:00 and 8:00PM. Desserts went out at 8:30PM.
I will admit to you that I was somewhat disappointed with the turnout. Somebody counted forty-four people...a very small crowd, particularly in light of the fact that this was the last Picnic after forty years. A lot of people found a lot of reasons not to attend. On the other hand, this just confirmed for me that I was right to bring everything to a close after forty years.
Sunday, we had time for a nice breakfast and...best of all...everything was cleaned up by early afternoon. Those who remained were treated to an all-day assortment of leftovers...and healthy portions to take home.
I struggled to stay awake Sunday night until 10:00PM...and at 10:01, I was in bed and sound asleep...the final Picnic finally completed.
Now things will move fast...very fast. I drop Cleo off at Terri's on Monday and return home with Dave (my house sitter). Monday afternoon, I'm packing up kitchen tools and last-minute odds and ends. Tuesday morning and early afternoon, I'll be packing up the "Little Guy", then off to the car wash and an appointment for a haircut. Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning, I'll finish packing up the Explorer. I'll be on the road around noon to Ludington...camping there for the night before departing for Manitowoc, Wisconsin at 8:00AM on the S.S. Badger.
I can hardly wait to get going...it's going to be another great adventure!









No comments: