Thursday, June 14, 2012

"The Way West"...Days 1 & 2...Wednesday, June 13 and Thursday, June 14, 2012

A smoother start to this camping trip would not be possible. With help from my buddy (and house sitter), Dave, I was 90% packed by Tuesday afternoon and fully loaded by 10:00AM on Wednesday.
At 12:00 noon, I set out for Ludington, a short 233 mile trip...arriving a little before 4:00PM. I had my camp set up in under 15 minutes and was able to relax with a Knob Creek Bourbon on the rocks. I'm loaded with leftovers, so dinner was left-over Ropa Vieja with yellow rice and a nice bottle of Spanish red from the Hecula region...and...my famous chocolate cake for dessert. It is NOT warm so far...temps in the 40's at night...so I broke out my "cold weather gear" and stayed up till 10:00PM. Nice and comfy in the Little Guy with a down comforter.
Up at 6:00AM this morning...coffee...then off to the docks for my voyage across Lake Michigan on the S.S. Badger. By 7:45AM, they're loading my vehicle/camper, and I'm in the restaurant having breakfast. It's an uneventful four-hour crossing...nice weather...very smooth. I take a nap after breakfast and read a hundred pages or so of Shirer's "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich"...50th Anniversary Edition.
At 12:00 noon (Central Time), I'm on the road out of Manitowoc, Wisconsin...no Interstate for me...lots of back roads. Around 3:30PM, I'm at this fun little bar, the C & R, about thirty miles from the KOA in Hixton. Gretchen, Roger and I stopped in this bar in 2009 and had a great time. It hasn't changed...friendly owner and friendly patrons. The owner, I know, is happy that someone would drive out of their way after three years just to stop at her little place.
Then it's off to Hixton and the KOA Campground. I'm set up there and enjoying the rest of the Hecula before a dinner of leftover gumbo.
Tomorrow, I'm off to Thompson, ND for Roger's brother, Don's, big summer party...it'll be great fun.







No comments: