Sunday, June 17, 2012

"The Way West"...Day 4...Saturday, June 16, 2012

I am fortunate for many reasons to have Roger as my friend. And one of those reasons is that he is, like me, an early riser. So...it's 6:30AM, and I'm already up, dressed and out of the camper. Roger is up too, and he's got a cup od hot coffee for me first thing.
It's cloudy, and we're worried about rain during the big party today. The rain starts around 8:00AM while Roger is cooking one of his famous breakfasts...eggs, bacon, scrapple, fried potatoes, toast...you name it. There's nothing like starting off a major party day (and night) with a big breakfast.
The rest of the morning is spent setting up chairs and tables...organizing things...getting ready for the waves of people to come. Roger and I make another trip to Grand Forks for ice and some other supplies...this gives us another opportunity to stop at "The Gate"...this time just a blody mary and a small beer each.
Back at the farm, I'm actually able to get in a nice two-hour nap before the festivities begin. I have planned my day well.
Around 4:00PM or so, the vehicles start to roll in...pickups, vintage automobiles, motorcycles...people...lots of people. Oh...and I should mention that they're all friendly people...because this is North Dakota.
This is an opportunity for people to bring their favorite dish to pass...to bring the "dish" that they're famous for. So...soon the tables in the garage are sagging under the weight of dozens of bowls, platters and trays. Salads of every description...lasagna, casseroles, pulled beef for sandwiches, burritos, pizzas...and the desserts...pies, cakes of every size, shape and flavor. It is the traditional food of America...taken to it's highest level.
This is my third party here, so I'm renewing acquaintances with lots of people that I've met and talked with before...and meeting lots of new friends as well. It's a warm and friendly atmosphere here...a deep feeling of family.
After dinner, Don and his band, "Act Naturally" take the stand in the barn and start to play country music...really, really good country music. And soon, people are dancing and moving to the sound of the music.
Around 10:00PM or so, Don breaks out the fireworks...and this isn't the "amateur stuff"...Don's got a big pile of very professional pyrotechnic material. And...for forty-five minutes or so, the sky lights up with many dazzling displays of light and sound...awesome!
Many are gathered around the tables at Roger and Gretchen's motor home...shot glasses appear. Soon, we're drinking 99 proof banana schnapps...and something called a "Chuck Norris". We invent a new "shot"...banana schnapps, cherry vodka and Bailey's...and christen it the "Banana Split".
Except for an occasional break, Don and the band just keep playing. When I finally go to bed at 1:30AM or so, they're still playing. I'll learn later that they didn't stop until 6:00AM or so.
At 1:31AM, I'm already fast asleep in the camper. Sure, I could have stayed up later...but sometimes, you've got to sacrifice so that you can live to party another day.
And today...well...today has been a pretty good day.










No comments: