Saturday, September 1, 2012

"The Way West"...Day 78...Thursday, August 30, 2012

I'm up early again and excited about hooking up with Gretchen and Roger...can't wait to see some familiar faces!
As usual, I'm enjoying coffee and a cigar and, this morning, I'm packing up at a leisurely pace. The packing is going well until about 9:00. That's when all of my friends at the RV Park start to stop by to say good bye. I have really enjoyed my stay here in Austin, and my neighbors are a large part of the reason why.
By the time that I bid all of my neighbors farewell and finish packing up, it's after 11:00...and I've got a three hundred mile drive to Austin.
I'm so excited at the thought of seeing Gretchen and Roger that I don't even stop for lunch...it's pedal to the metal all the way up.
At 2:30, I arrive at the Dallas Metro KOA in Arlington and proceed to my site right next to Roger and Gretchen. There are lots of hugs. We've got a great group of UM fans, all in their mid to late 20's, parked next to us. They stop over for Bourbon, beer, etc. Pretty soon, the beers are really flowing...more shots...order a pizza...more beer. Another camper stops by with a guitar and sings for awhile...more beer...sing the UM fight song...more beer.
It's close to 1:00AM before I finally call it a night and head for bed. I'm sleeping tonight in Roger and Gretchen's motor home...nice and cool with air conditioning...very comforta








ble. A nice welcoming party tonight.

No comments: