Monday, September 10, 2012

"The Way West"...Day 83...Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Roger and I are both early risers and, this morning, we're both up at 6:00AM for coffee. We sit outside with our coffee...talking away...until Gretchen gets up to say goodbye.
At 7:30AM, I'm on my way...traveling down the little back roads out of Dickinson up to I-10. About five miles or so out, my cell phone rings...it's Roger...I've forgotten my "cigar ashtray" for traveling...so back I go...more goodbyes.
Then I'm rolling along again...up to I-10...out of east Texas and into Louisiana. The road is clear, but I can see some flooding on the side roads...and there are a lot of billboards that have been shredded by the winds of the recent hurricane.
At almost exactly 2:00PM, I pull into the French Quarter RV Park in New Orleans. I know this park well...Terri, Carl and I stayed here for the Sugar Bowl. The location is excellent...just a ten minute walk to the French Quarter.
I've got about eight hours to eat and drink my way through the French Quarter, and I want to make the most of every minute. So...after a quick shower and a change of clothes, I'm off. My first stop is Acme Oyster Bar, where I put away two dozen on the half-shell and a dozen fried with Remoulade Sauce. My favorite shucker, Norman, is off today...too bad, I was really looking forward to seeing him again. After Acme, I spend three hours or so "barhopping"...all my favorites...Johnny White's, Fritzel's (they have a UM poster on the wall, so it's a "must" stop), The Old Absinthe House. Along the way, I pay a visit to the "French Quarter Pet Asylum"...the place where I "adopted" my cat, Nola, back in January. The same gal is working there, and she remembers both me as well as Nola (or "Carmela" as she was known back then). She's happy to hear how well Nola is doing...like all of my cats, Nola's "got it made". I leave a $25.00 donation, and I'm on my way.
By 7:00PM, I'm hungry again (sorta), so I head out of the French Quarter across Canal Street and up to the Hilton Hotel. In the Hilton, "Drago's serves great Grilled Oysters...not as good as Gilhooley's, but pretty good nonetheless. I polish off two dozen...washed down with several glasses of Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc fro New Zealand. Then it's back across and down Canal Street to the Palace Cafe. From my numerous visits to New Orleans, I know that the Palace Cafe is open 24/7...and...you can get Bananas Foster, prepared tableside, any old time that you want...and I "want". The bartender and I know each other from my last trip here for the Sugar Bowl, so we chat a little football before the "show". He's a "master" of the whole Bananas Foster "ritual"...the brown sugar, cinnamon and butter...in go the bananas...then the rum and banana liquer...the flaming...the ice cream...excellent.
Now it's back to the French Quarter...some "divey" bars on the side streets...a strip club (hey, I have been on the road for 83 days, you know). At 10:00PM, I'm game for one last meal...more oysters...this time at "Desire", An Oyster Bar". The "shucker" and I bond immediately...and, soon, he's serving up twelve of the biggest oyster ever. I can barely finish them.
Now it's back to the RV Park, but not without a stop at my favorite "United Nations" bar along the way...the "Double Play". I know that it's affiliated with U.N. because it's flying the multi-colored United Nations flag outside. It must not be "ladies night" because I don't see any inside on this night. Again, this bartender recognizes me from my last trip...so I get a Miller High Life "on the house". Several beers later, it is definitely time to call it a night. I call a cab...no ten-minute walk in this part of town at night.
For the first time this whole trip, it's too hot to sleep. I toss and turn in the heat...very humid. Finally, I get up, get in the Explorer and turn on the AC full-blast to "ice" myself down. Then, back in the camper...asleep...it's like somebody turned off the switch.












No comments: