Saturday, September 1, 2012

"The Way West"...Day 76...Tuesday, August 28, 2012

I'm up early again at 6:00AM this morning...enjoying a few cups of coffee and a cigar.
At 9:00, I'm off for lunch. Why so early?...well, I'm going to Franklin BBQ...it opens at 11:00, and the line starts forming around 9:30. I get there at 9:15, and I'm number 11 in line. By 10:30, there are over seventy people in line. A guy comes out around 10:00...he goes down the line asking people what they plan to order so that they can let people at the end of the line know what will be available when they get to the front of the line. They only make a limited amount of brisket, sausage, ribs, etc...and...when it's gone, it's gone.
At 11:01, I'm inside placing my order...brisket, sausage, potato salad...and a Shiner beer. It's not just "good" barbecue, it's "great" barbecue. The brisket is, maybe, the most tender that I've ever had...like pot roast. And it's really, really juicy...not dry at all. Sausage is equally good...even the potato salad is excellent. There's even a "killer" banana rum tart for dessert.
It's close...really, really close...but I have to give Franklin's the nod over Louie Mueller for best barbecue on this trip.
Back at camp, I find a shady spot and read for a few hours. Later, I'm on the Internet to check emails and post to the blog.
Tuesday is another $1 pint day at Billy's Brew & Cue, so I head over there around 4:00 or so for a few cold ones. Around 7:00, I'm feeling hungry...not starved, but hungry. So...I drive about three miles to a food truck that has been highly recommended. It's called "Three Little Pigs", and their specialty is a "Pork Belly Slider". I order one of those, along with a pork dumpling and head back to camp. I've iced down a nice bottle of Pinot Gris, and I enjoy that with my dinner. The "Slider" is phenomenal...crispy pork belly, maple-soy glaze and thinly-sliced apple on a crispy bun. It's a great combination of textures and flavors.
After dinner, I haul out the Vizio and enjoy a little television late into the night...along with a few beers.







No comments: