Wednesday, June 19, 2013

"North to Alaska"...Day 15...Tuesday, June18, 2013

You'd think that people would be sleeping in this morning now that the party is over and the cleanup almost complete...but no. When I roll out of bed at 6:30, everybody else is already out and about.
Cousin Bill and I enjoy our last "Roger breakfast"...bacon, eggs over easy, toast, coffee and milk. Mickie invites me in to load up on leftovers...bags of ham, turkey and French toast.
After hugs all around, Bill and I set off for Minot around 9:30.
The drice is pretty uneventful until we reach the town of Devil's Lake. As I'm leaving town, I can't see Cousin Bill behind me. As I pull over to wait for him, he calls. Some kid rear-ended him at a red light back in town. The kid's car hit Bill's spare tire...no damage there. But the bracket for the spare has a "lip", and that lip has puntured the fiberglass shell of Bill's camper. Bill sends the kid to buy Bondo and white spray enamel...that's it...no police, no insurance. After a half hour or so, we're back on the road.
As we enter Minot, I'm swept with a wave of nostalgia...for it was here, in 2008, that I had my emergency appendectomy...right in downtown Minot. So...even though I may visit there infrequently, there will always be a part of me that remains in Minot.
The KOA in Minot, still listed in all my guides and still up on the Internet, is no more...all boarded up and closed. So...we head back a few miles to the Roughrider Campground (a "Good Sam" campground). It's crowded and kind of "dumpy", but it's a place to stay.
We camp next to two young guys (early 20's)...one's from Washington, the other from Utica, Michigan. As it turns out, they both have the same kind of arthritis that I have...despite their young age. So we all share some of out arthritis medicine before (and after) dinner. Bill's got leftover Pad Thai, and I've got the rest of my Korean beef. So we are able to cobble together a big meal.
A few beers after dinner with our new buddies...a little more "medicine"...early to bed. We've got a long drive tomorrow...plus, we'll be crossing the border into Canada. After all of my woes at the border in New Brunswick two years ago, tomorrow's crossing could turn out to be a real adventure.

1 comment:

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow myblog