Monday, June 24, 2013

"North to Alaska"...Day 21...Monday, June 24, 2013

Warm and sunny when I wake up. Leftover (hot) coffee in my thermos.
I head up to the campground office to pay for my campsite (and Cousin Bill's). We arrived late last night, and the office was closed. The gal at the office is cute...I flirt with her while she's checking us in. Her name is Faith...maybe I'll get a chance to see her on our trip back down from Alaska.
Cousin Bill is out...into town to pick up supplies to fix his leak problem. When he returns, we survey my "shelf problem". Back into town to the Home Depot...plywood, 2x3's, bolts, screws, carpeting. Then more stops for beer and groceries.
When we get back to camp, I unload, clean and repack my cooler. Now we have food to get us up the "Highway" to Whitehorse in the Yukon.
Bill (mostly) and I replace the shelf in the rear hatch of my camper...plywood, new hinges, a new wooden "brace, carriage bolts. It takes the better part of six hours...but it's fixed and "Alaska Highway-ready". Kechi is a big help to us in our work.
History repeats itself. My late father was as mechanically "dis-inclined" as I am. Whenever he needed something "fixed", he'd call my Cousin Bill's father, Albert, to "come over for dinner and bring your toolbox". Now...fifty years later...I'm asking my cousin to "come over and bring your toolbox". Bill will not do a "half-ass" job on anything. Everything is measures...calculated...the right screws...the right bolts...everything "just right".
So...now I invite Cousin Bill over for dinner...AAA Alberta steaks...Heirloom Tomato Salad with Feta...a nice California Cab.
Life is good.
And...tomorrow...the start of the Alaska Highway.

No comments: