Friday, August 12, 2011

Bill & Ed's Excellent Adventure...Days 59/60...Saturday/Sunday, August 6/7, 2011...Heading Home...and Irony

Saturday...short and sweet.
Up at 6:00AM...Ed to the airport at 8:30AM for flight home. Now I'm out of the airport and heading for home...a quick stop for gas, coffee and a McDonalds breakfast (healthy!).
The irony...OK, it's been cold and rainy for most of this camping trip. Ed and I figured about ten nice days out of 60. So...now I'm driving home, and the weather is sunny, clear and hot, very hot. And the irony is that the AC in the Escape has stopped working...it's nice outside and sweltering inside the Escape.
By 6:30PM or so, I've covered over 450 miles, and I'm finally pulling into the KOA Campground about 25 miles west of Toronto. Plenty of spots available and, soon, I'm set up for the night. Some CNN on the XM Radio boombox...a little white wine...some nice salami, Canadian cheddar and crackers for dinner...very nice.
Only 250 miles to home tomorrow, but I'm calling it an early night. Tonight, I'm sleeping in the camper for the first time since Day 3 of the trip in Boston...it's nice.

Sunday...more irony.
When I wake up at 6:00AM, it's pouring rain...more irony, I guess. All of my plans for a hot shower, coffee and breakfast are washed away in the rain. All that I can do is pack up and hit the road. A quick stop for coffee...and drive, drive, drive.
Around 11:00AM, I'm in Sarnia crossing the border at the Bluewater Bridge. Bad timing...it's a Sunday and the lines at Customs are long. The officer handling the line that I'm in is taking about 10-15 minutes per vehicle,so it's slow going. When I pull up, he asks me where I've been, cuts short my answer, and waves me on through.
At 1:30PM, I'm pulling into my driveway...trip over...home at last.
One day (today) to rest...then...it's going to be a brutal week.

No comments: