Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Florida Bound...Day 2...Sunday, August 14, 2011...Heading for Charleston





OK...perhaps a little TOO much red wine last night. I'm supposed to be on the road by 7:00AM this morning, but Gretchen is waking me up at 7:30AM. Some much needed orange juice and coffee before finally getting on the road at a little past 9:00AM.
I've made this drive countless times, but it never gets any shorter...two hours to the Ohio border, two or three hours through West Virginia...an hour through Virginia...250 miles through North Carolina and another 250 or so through South Carolina to Charleston.
It's almost 8:00PM by the time I roll into the Days Inn right in the middle of Charleston's Historic District. A quick shower and a change of clothes...and I'm out on the town. I found a nice little Oyster bar, "Pearlz" on my last visit here, so that's where I head. My bartender, Kevin, knows both his food and his wine and, soon, I'm enjoying a dozen Gulf Oysters on the half-shell with a nice New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc...then on to the Fried Oysters with Remoulade Sauce and...finally...Tuna Tartare with a glass of Pinot Noir. Oh...did I mention the "cinnamon Toast" ice cream for dessert?
By now, it's after 1:00PM (on a Sunday), and most of my favorite "watering holes" are closed. Still, there are a few friendly taverns open along Market Street on the way back to my hotel. One spot has 24 oz. Red Stripes for $4.00...who could resist such a bargain. A Red Stripe or two later, and I've struck up a conversation with a new friend, "Donny". More beer, lots of conversation...then, whoa, it's almost 1:00AM.
Back to the hotel and bed...long drive tomorrow.

No comments: