Sunday, August 28, 2011

Florida Bound...Days 11-16...Tuesday, August 23-Sunday, August 28, 2011...Ups and Downs...Moving Day..."Crunch" Time






Wow...another really busy week. The best news was "Irene's" little detour away from Florida and up the East Coast through the Carolinas. Even with the "miss", we still got some heavy rains and winds on Thursday.
A few "ups and downs" (mainly "ups") this week. Ace and I took Mom in to Allegro on Wednesday, and she signed the final papers to live there. We're still short a few pieces of information, but nothing critical...and...hopefully, we'll have everything "buttoned up" tomorrow (Monday).
On Thursday, Ace and I took Mom over to Wells Fargo to meet with her financial adviser. Things were going well until he started asking for copies of Trusts, Wills, etc. In the almost two weeks that I've been down here, I haven't been able to locate any of that stuff...and trying to find "anything" in Mom's house is a major challenge.
But...on Friday, I was able to get in to the safety deposit box that Mom has down here, and I hit the "Mother Lode" of documents...essentially, everything that I was looking for. So...that's now taken care of.
Saturday was a big day...moving day. I got Mark, our lawn guy to move Mom's furniture out of the house and into Allegro. Things got delayed early but, by 3:00PM or so, Mark and his sons had moved two dressers, a bed (with box spring and mattress), two couches, four end tables, a coffee table...and a LOT of boxes. After the move, Ace and I worked for a few hours cleaning stuff off and putting things away. We didn't eat dinner until almost 8:00PM (late for down here), but some great fish at Lola's Seafood was a nice reward for a long, tough day.
This morning (Sunday) was "crunch" time...but not the way you think. I was up at around 8:30AM this morning, and I headed out around 9:00 to the closest gas station for coffee. As I pulled out of Mom's driveway, I heard a loud "crunch". For a minute, I thought that I had hit a mailbox or something. When I backed up, I saw that I had run over a "land crab". So...nature continues her onslaught...dragonflys, roaches, ants, box elder bugs, centipedes, millipedes, flys...and now crabs. Looking out over the neighborhood, I could see dozens of them moving in the grass...skittering across the street...like a tiny invading army. You can eat them, but it takes a week of lettuce feeding to render them edible...and I have neither the time nor the desire.
I'm almost finished with my work down here. The biggest remaining task is getting Mom's dachshund, Schatzie, approved for residency by the management at Allegro. And, for this, I've got my "secret weapon", Alison. She's meeting me tomorrow at 2:00PM, and we're putting Schatzie through a rigorous workout...the theory being that a tired dog is a docile dog. At 3:00, we head over to Allegro...keep your fingers crossed.
Once Schatzie is approved, I can get off of this "bug planet" and head home on Tuesday...I can be sleeping in my own bed Wednesday night.

No comments: