Thursday, August 18, 2011

Florida Bound...Day 3...Monday, August 15, 2011...Florida

Well...OK...maybe I should not have had that last 24 oz. Red Stripe that my new buddy, Donny, bought for me right as I was about to head back to the hotel. Anyway, I've slept in once again and, by the time that I shower/dress/check out, it's almost 10:00AM.
When slide into the driver's seat of the Escape and program the Garmin, I see that my arrival time at Mom's is 6:00PM...it's another all-day LONG drive.
There's good barbecue to be had along the 120 mile or so stretch of Georgia on I-95 between South Carolina and Florida. Normally, I stop at a place called the "Georgia Pig" (it's good, not great), but this trip I'm opting for someplace new. A place called "Allens" got good reviews on the Internet, so I'm stopping in Brunswick, GA to give it a try. It turns out to be pretty good...service is friendly and the pulled pork sandwich is first-rate. The sides are lacking...and...there's no dessert today but, all in all, worth another stop on another trip.
Right after the border with Florida, I'm thirsty...so...I do a very "touristy" thing and stop at "Citrus World" for some orange juice...$1.50 for a big cup of icy fresh-squeezed OJ...mighty good.
At 6:30PM, I'm pulling in to Mom's driveway and, of course, she and Ace want to immediately head out for dinner. So...off we go to "Park Avenue Barbecue", the sub-standard local spot in Stuart for barbecue. It is OK...maybe a bit less than OK.
Back at Mom's, I'm putting together a detailed "game plan"...confirm income (sources and amounts), identify all checking/savings accounts, find all stock certificats and other evidence of stock ownership, calls to the nurse/social worker and to the assisted living place, Allegro and to the local attorney. And, while we're at it...get a Florida driver's license, transfer all local bills (electric, phone, property taxes, etc.) to my name as well as Mom's and has groceries, make sure that my Mom takes her medicines.
It's going to be a busy (very) two weeks.

No comments: