Saturday, August 20, 2011

Florida Bound...Day 4...Tuesday, August 16, 2011...It's the Heat, Stupid

I'm up at 7:30AM this morning, and I figure that I'll slip outside for a morning cigar and listen to some CNN in the Escape. As soon as I walk outside, I realize that there's a reason why I haven't visited Florida in the summer in over thirty years...it's hot, really hot...oh, and plenty humid too. It's much the same sensation as "waterboarding".
But it's not much better inside either. Mom has the thermostat set to 80 degrees, so there is no relief except for sitting in the Escape with the air conditioning on. So...while the coffee is brewing, I'm in the Escape...nice and cool in there.
I've got a busy day today. At 9:30AM, I'm off to Allegro Assisted Living for a tour and explanation of pricing. At noon, I'm meeting the nurse/social worker, Laura, that my Mom and Ace hired to coordinate Mom's home nursing care and help with getting Mom into Allegro.
By the time that I'm finished with these appointments, it's after 3:00PM...time to head home. I did most of the necessary financial analysis for Mom when I was last here in January/February...so now it's just a question of confirming and refining that. There are still piles of bills, brokerage statements, bank records...on and on...to go through and organize.
Before I know it, it's after 5:00PM, and we're rushing out to dinner...got to be there before 5:30 in order to take advantage of the "Early Bird Specials". Tonight, we're at the Palm City Grill...a nice little place with generously-poured cocktails and a diverse menu of pretty good food. I have a good Martini, fried oysters/fries and a glass of Sauvignon Blanc...it's all good.
Back home, I'm preparing a revised "to do list" for tomorrow based on my visit to Allegro and my conversation with Laura...it's going to another busy day.
It's another uneasy sleep tonight...it is "sweltering" inside the house, and there is no relief to be had.

No comments: