Sunday, July 22, 2012

"The Way West"...Day 38...Friday, July 20, 2012

I'm feeling lazy this morning so, after morning coffee, I drive five miles or so to Red Hills Market for breakfast. I get a "mini-quiche", a crusty roll with butter, a danish and a big glass of milk.
Today, I'm visiting new wineries based on recommendations from the last few days. First, I drive eighteen miles or so south and west towards Salem, Oregon's capitol. There is a cluster of wineries in one location, quite apart from other wineries.
At my first stop, Bethel Heights Winery, I have a very interesting conversation about the interplay of geography and climate. The Willamette Valley is divided into seven distinct regions called "AVA's" (American Viticultural Areas...as follows Willamette Valley (generic), Chehalem Mountains, Ribbon Ridge, Yamhill-Carlton District, Dundee Hills, McMinnville, and Eola-Amity Hills. Each of these areas is unique for it's soil, topography and climate. That cluster of wineries near Salem, for example, is located in the Eola-Amity Hills area. But the precise location of this cluster has to do with something called "micro-climate"...these are the very subtle differences in climate within a given area. Is the land flat or sloped? What is the angle of the slope to the sun. The cluster near Salem is located in a very narrow valley that runs out to the Pacific ocean. Breezes flow up that valley, particularly at night. Since Pinot Noir grapes like warm days and cool night, these breezes influence the grapes. Grapes grown just a half mile or so from Bethel Heights might be out of that little valley and not get the breezes at night...so the grapes, and the wine produced from them, are different.
Anyway, the wines at Bethel Heights are very good, as are the wines at nearby Cristom Vineyards.
Later, I drive into the town of McMinnville to visit the tasting room of one of my favorite wineries, Panther Creek. As always, the wines are excellent. But I'm having trouble finding the big, bold dark-fruit style that I enjoyed during my visit in 2008. Back then, I was drinking wines from the 2006 vintage. On this visit, I'm drinking 2009 and 2010 wines, and the style is lighter and more structured.
The folks at Panther Creek have another recommendation for me, so I head over to Bergstrom Wines for my last stop. Again, very good wines.
Now it's late in the afternoon, and I'm hungry. Another stop at Red Hills Market for another excellent pizza, a small salad, and some coconut macaroons. Back at camp, I enjoy all of these with a nice bottle of Pinot Noir from Bethel Heights.
I watch television for awhile...no news because the news is sad...death and injury in Colorado...so very sad. So I watch a movie...Mission Impossible III...very entertaining before bedtime.






No comments: