Sunday, July 15, 2012

"The Way West"...Day 29...Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A quick breakfast this morning of coffee, oatmeal and a Clif energy bar. At around 9:30AM, I set off to hike the Hoh River Trail. It's seventeen miles long, but I figure that I'll just hike out till I get tired and hike back in.
The first three hour or so are pretty foggy...the sun doesn't really burn through the fog here until noon or so. But it's a fun trail...pretty level...easy hiking. Again, I'm hiking through a temperate rainforest of old-growth trees...huge firs, cedars and a lot of broad-leaf maples. I'm virtually alone on the trail, and it's very majestic...especially when the sun comes out.
By 12:30, I'm getting pretty tired, so I stop to heat up some ramen noodles...washed down with a half a liter of water and some cookies. Then it's back down the trail to camp.
Back at camp, I do some preliminary packing to get on the road tomorrow morning. Then I read for a few hours before dinner. I've marinated some Tandoori chicken, so I grill that, cook some basmati rice and heat up a package of Madras lentils...not a bad meal for "cooking in the wild". After dinner, Ibuild another fire and relax with some chocolate cake from Safeway and a few glasses of CatDaddy.
It's an early night...I'm whipped.





No comments: