Saturday, July 14, 2012

"The Way West"...Day 27...Monday, July 9, 2012

I






I'm excited about the drive today. Back in 2008, Shannon and I made the trip from Seattle to Olympic National Park, and it was a great ride.
First, I'm taking a ferry from Seattle to Bainbridge Island. Some folks back at the KOA took this ferry on Saturday, and there was a long wait...so they recommended that I arrive at the docks at least an hour in advance. I'm planning on taking the 10:30AM ferry, so I'm there just after 9:00. But, there's just a short line, and I'm able to get on the 9:30 ferry.
Then it's a thirty minute cruise across the fog-shrouded bay to Bainbridge Island. On board, I have a coffee and read a newspaper.
Now, I'm off the ship and heading across Bainbridge Island to the Olympic Peninsula. In Port Angeles, I stop for ice and groceries. Later, in the town of Forks, I stop at a little burger stand for a good burger and a chocolate malt. All along the way, I'm driving through lush old-growth forests. And there's a beautiful stretch of road around the perimeter of Lake Crescent.
A little after 2:00PM, I'm at Olympic National Park setting up camp in the "A Loop"...not far from where I camped back in 2008.
By the time that I finish setting up camp, it's cocktail hour, so I enjoy a Maker's Mark while I get dinner ready. I grill a piece of Filet and heat up a package of "Bombay Potatoes"...and uncork a nice bottle of red from Walla Walla. Later, I build a fire and relax with that last piece of coconut cream pie before bedtime.

No comments: