Saturday, July 28, 2012

"The Way West"...Day 44...Thursday, July 26, 2012

I'm in some hospital...of that I am sure. And...based upon what I'm hearing and feeling, I'm in the ICU...the "Intensive Care Unit". I can hear a vital signs monitor beeping in the background. There are wires attached to my body, and something has been poked into my arm.
Then, there's this voice...

"Mr. Thee. I'm Doctor Miguel. If you can hear me, I want you to know that you're going to be alright. You were run over by a large truck last night, but we have you stabilized".

Now I struggle to open my eyes. But it's not a "Doctor" speaking, it's my new friend Miguel. He's come over to make sure that I'm doing OK. It's not a vital signs monitor beeping...it the low battery warning from my cell phone. And, during the night, I've rolled myself up in the cord from my satellite radio antenna. And, it's a pen from my pocket that's poking me in the arm. I take a good look at Miguel...he looks like I feel.
To defeat the hangover, one must first understand the hangover. There are three major "components"...inflamed







vessels in the brain (that's the headache), dehydration (that's the dry mouth), and the flushing of electrolytes from the body (that's the "blah" feeling).
So...first thing, I take two Naprosyn (anti-inflammatory) and wash them down with a half liter of Gatorade. I wait thirty minutes, then drink a bottle of Five Hour Energy (how long will that last???). Wait another half hour...and then I pull out my "secret weapon"...brought along for this very purpose. It's coconut water...eleven ounce "juice box" containers of it. Coconut water contain electrolytes that are close to a perfect match to the levels in a "normal" human body. And coconut water rehydrates the body significantly faster than plain water. Now, I drink two boxes...and wait.
An hour later, and I'm feeling better...much better...maybe 80%. Miguel and the girls are packing up to leave...they're heading back to San Diego. As they pull out, the girls are hanging out of the windows waving and shouting "Good-bye Bill"! I notice that Miguel's friend, Rob, is doing the driving. Perhaps Miguel had one Tequila too many last night.
By 11:00AM, I'm up to 90%, so it's time to head back to the lake. I drive over past the Lodge for more photos...a different angle. I walk down to the Sinnot Memorial Overlook...more photos.
I have lunch at the restaurant in the Lodge...a burger and a coke (no wine for me!). After lunch, I drive a short way on the opposite way of the "rim road"...more photos. I've looked at the photos now...they're good shots (most of them), but they just don't do justice to Crater Lake. You have to see it for yourself...and I would urge you to put Crater Lake on your "bucket list". You will not be disappointed.
Back at camp, I pack up to leave tomorrow morning. I grill up some Tandoori chicken for dinner...some rice...a package of spicy Madras lentils. I open a bottle of red wine, but I can't finish one glass. For some reason, wine (alcohol in general) is just not tasting particularly good this night.
I picked up firewood at the General Store this afternoon, so I build a nice fire. The temperature is cool...and the fire is nice.
Early to bed tonight.

No comments: