Thursday, July 5, 2012

"The Way West"...Day 19...Sunday, July 1, 2012

As planned, I'm up early (just before sunrise). It's cold, damp and rainy here in Mt. Rainier National Park...but I don't care...because I'm getting out of here as quickly as possible.
Yesterday's coffee is still hot in the Thermos...so a cup or two of that, and I'm on the road.
I've got a 250 miles or so trip ahead, most of which should be on the smaller state roads that I love to drive.
Within a half hour of leaving the Park, the sun is out and the temperatures are in the 70's...this is going to be a nice drive.
And...so...off I go out of the Park over some narrow twisting stretches of road. Then, about 60 miles or so on an Interstate...and, finally, back on the smaller roads up, over and through the Cascade Mountains. There are plenty of forests and small towns...very green on the approach and then browner coming down on the eastern slopes.
Around 10:00AM or so, I stop in a little town about 50 miles from my destination of Chelan. I'm hungry, and the "Buckboard Cafe" is advertising breakfast. It's a nice friendly place and the breakfast...wow! I get the meatloaf hash with two eggs over easy, sourdough toast and coffee. When the plate arrives, there's enough food for four people...and...because one of the yolks broke on my eggs, they bring an extra two. Man...I'm hungry, but not that hungry. It takes me 45 minutes to eat about 80% of what's on my plate...and I am stuffed.
The laqst thirty miles or so, I'm driving along some high bluffs that run along a big river...then down from the bluffs and into the town of Chelan. I head over to the city-run Lakeshore RV Park...but...bad news...they are completely full. Except for the cancellation for spot #43 that came in ten minutes before I arrived...I'm in luck.
Once parked, I plug my camera, lanterns, headlamps and a few other things into my extension cord. Then, it's off for a much-needed shower and a change of clothes. Thirty minutes later, I feel like a new man.
Now I've got two hours or so of very serious work to do. My destination tomorrow is the town of Stehekin in North Cascades National Park...reachable only by passenger ferry. So...I have to "pack in" to my campsite. I have a "packing list" prepared (naturally), so I set about finding everything and laying it out on my picnic table before loading everything in my pack. Then, a few more chores around the campsite (including a quick post on the blog), and I'm ready to head into town.
The RV Park is right downtown so, within a few minutes, I'm on Main Street, and a friendly tavern is in sight. Two double Maker's Marks on the rocks later, I'm ready for dinner. I'm hungry for pizza, and several people have recommended a place called "local Myth Pizza", so that's where I head. It's small and friendly...with a very nice selection of local wines. I order my "usual"...double cheese and pepperoni. The pizza is excellent, the wine delicious, and the staff friendly...I even get them to "mug" for the camera.
After dinner, I stop for beers in several little "dives" along Main Street...meet some nice people and listen to some good music. At 10:00PM or so, it's back to camp, and one last beer before bed.
Tomorrow is going to be a fun day.





No comments: