Sunday, July 15, 2012

"The Way West"...Day 31...Friday, July 13, 2012

I've decided to spend another day/night in Astoria, but I'm not spending it at this dumpy "good Sam" Park that's not really a "Good Sam" Park. So, this morning, I make coffee and boil a few eggs for breakfast. I take my time...checkout time is noon...so that I can head into town, walk around awhile and have lunch. It's a nice little town this Astoria. It was founded in the late 1800's by the financier, John Jacob Astor as a fur trading center. It was later settled by mostly Finns...hence the "Finnish-American Fellowship Hall" on the way into town. Lots of shipping in and out of here in the "old days" as Astoria was a major port.
I walk around town for a half-hour or so...lots of small shops, restaurants, bars, etc. For lunch, I stop at a nice bistro, Clemente's. They've got oysters on the half-shell...I order two plates of six each. Then an order of fried oysters and some great hand-cut French fries served with an addictive chipotle aioli...all washed down with several glasses of Oregon Pinot Gris. They have dark chocolate creme brulee for dessert, so I've got to have that. My waitress suggests a pint or two at the local micro-brewery so, after lunch, I head over there. I'm in luck...sixteen things on tap...fifteen ales/IPA's...but they do have a single lager.
Three things that I've noticed about the Pacific Northwest...people like their coffee, their micro-brewed beer, and their tattoos. Everywhere you look out here there are little wooden buildings with drive-through coffee...it seems like there's one on every corner. And, when you buy beer at a grocery store, the selection is staggering...usually at least forty types (regrettably, most are ales). And...I do not know if I have ever seen as many people with tattoos...not just small ones, but large intricate works of art covering, in many cases, a large body area.
After lunch, I head over to Fort Clatsop in the Lewis and Clark National Park. This is the spot where the Lewis and Clark expedition spent the winter of 1805-1806 before turning back east...and home. They've built replicas of the living quarters, canoes, and the picket fences. They also have people in "period costumes" offering demonstrations of fire-starting, fish-smoking...lots of fun things.
After touring the Fort, I head to the local KOA Campground...wow...what a difference from last night's camp. The KOA is modern, clean, and loaded with all of the amenities. I get a nice spot, set up camp, and head off for another shower. The weather is nice, so I can sit at the picnic table...in the sun, finally...and enjoy a cocktail while listening to music on my satellite radio "boombox".
On the way to the KOA, I've stopped at another seafood shop and purchased another pint of Willapa Bay oysters...I also get half and half plus some Heinz "Chili Sauce"...all the fixings to make oyster stew. I saute some chopped shallots in butter, add the oysters and their liquor (heating just until the edges "curl", throw in two tablespoons of chili sauce and a cup of half and half...voila...oyster stew. I was going to cook something else and just have the stew as an appetizer, but it's so good that I eat the whole batch...yum. Along with a few glasses of a white wine "blend" from Oregon, it's a very good meal.
After dinner, I read, listen to music, and finish my wine before heading off for a good night's sleep.








No comments: