Sunday, July 29, 2012

"The Way West"...Day 47...Sunday, July 29, 2012

At the midpoint of this trip, these are the "stats"...

5875.5 miles traveled

375.96 gallons of gasoline used

15.6 average miles per gallon


I didn't sleep well last night, and I have no reason why. I woke up several times last night and, this morning, I'm feeling kind of "blah".
I'm up around 8:00AM having coffee and looking over my atlas. I'm thinking that I'll drive south to Eureka, California today. Then, on Monday, I can head east of Route 299...a beautiful drive along the Trinity River to Trinity Lake. I'll camp at Trinity Lake in the Mt. Shasta area for a few days, and then head down to Reno to spend the weekend with my friend, Tom Mirczak.
Coming out of Florence, I'm going around the Oregon Dunes...much like our dunes on Lake Michigan. Just south of Coos Bay, the drive gets really interesting...lots of good photos of the coast.
Around 2:30PM or so, I leave Oregon and cross the border into California. Then I'm driving through the old Redwood forests south of Crescent City. And there's plenty of fog rolling in off of Humboldt Bay. With their shallow root system, Redwoods get most of their moisture from the fog...that and the elevation create the perfect "microclimate" for them to flourish.
Now it's around 4:30PM, and I'm camped at a nice KOA in Eureka. I'm still kind of tired, so I think that it will be an early night.

I'm really looking forward to the drive tomorrow.













No comments: