Saturday, August 4, 2012

"The Way West"...Day 48...Monday, July 30, 2012

When I camped out here in 2010, I traveled California Route 299 from Mt. Lassen Volcanic National Park out to Redwoods National Park on the coast. Along the way, I drove through the Trinity-Shasta National Recreation Area...the whole area looked great for camping, and I remember wishing that I had time to stop. Now...two years later...I have time.
Eureka is, this morning, shrouded in fog rolling in off of Humboldt Bay. My drive today is relatively short, so I've got time to unpack, clean out and reorganize the coolers before setting off. A quick stop at Safeway for ice and supplies, and I'm on my way.
Route 299 is a pretty drive. Once out of Eureka, there's about an hour of mountain driving...up, over and through...with some nice photo opportunities from higher altitudes. Then the road follows the Trinity River for another two hours or so...running high above the water for stretches, then low right next to the water.
There are lots of campgrounds in this area...clustered around Mt. Shasta, Lake Shasta, and a host of smaller lakes. Based on a lot of research pre-trip, as well as some conversations recently with fellow campers, I have picked the area of Trinity Lake to camp. Hopefully, it should have the combination of natural beauty and tranquility that I'm looking for.
During one of my "photo stops", I meet Vince and Alex...they work for the Forest Service, live in nearby Redding, and are headed for Eureka for a few days of camping. They also think that the Trinity Lake area would be the best place to camp...so Trinity Lake it is.
Late in the afternoon, I turn north off of 299 for twenty miles or so to the lake. There's a KOA campground way at the top of the lake, but it's an extra hour of driving...besides, I'm looking for something more "primitive". There are plenty of Federal campsites at the southern end of the lake, but they're all for tent campers. Finally, I find a spot that has room for RV's...it's a "Federal" sight being managed by a Good Sam-affiliated company...seems nice.
I quickly set up camp and relax with a cocktail. I had a great hot dog on the road a few hours ago, so I'm thinking a light dinner. Some leftover Tandoori chicken gets added to a big bowl of "gourmet" Ramen noodles...simple, efficient and tasty.
The campground is almost empty on a Monday...quiet...peaceful...relaxing. Early to bed tonight.









No comments: