Saturday, August 4, 2012

"The Way West"...Day 49...Tuesday, July 31, 2012

My "peace and tranquility" gets shattered pretty early this morning as I awaken to the sound of loud pickup trucks...people shouting...music...barking dogs.
I have new "neighbors"...about eight of them...with two monster pickups, a big "fifth-wheel" RV...a "professional" sound system...and about six very loud dogs.
I've got coffee in the thermos...and I heat up some water to make oatmeal. After breakfast, I lace up my hiking boots for a hike around the lake. Unfortunately, my campground is on a small bluff above the lake, and the trail down is VERY steep...looks risky. I watch one guy get a third of the way down before slipping and sliding down forty feet or so...no lake hike for me. Instead, I hike around the campground and the surrounding area. Not the most exciting hike, but it's a good four hours or so of exercise.
Back at camp, I set up my satellite radio...listen to some music (my favorite "Chill" station. Around 4:00PM, I hike down to the Campground Store for ice...then back to camp to ice down some beers. I have a Bourbon (or two) while I set up the grill, get the charcoal going...peel and par-boil some potatoes. A nice N.Y. Strip goes on the grill, and I fry up the potatoes with some sliced onion...add in a nice bottle of red wine from Oregon, and I've got a great meal.
My "neighbors" have spent the day boating on the lake but, around 7:00PM, they're back at camp. Now they set up a big lighting system mounted on poles...then the loud music...the barking dogs. Around 8:30, all of the "equipment" trips a breaker in the campground, and all of the power goes out...no power, no lights...even the lights in the restroom are out. I'm prepared for this...so out comes my lantern, headlamp and the iPod player that runs off of a rechargeable battery.
The loss of power is not a deterrent to my "neighbors", as they noisily party late into the night. So much for peace and tranquility.





No comments: