Sunday, August 19, 2012

"The Way West"...Day 65...Friday, August 17, 2012..."The Thee Family Reunion"

Just about everything was packed up last night, so there is little to do this morning except relax with a few cups of coffee.
Around 9:00AM, I'm on the road...north and east to Lubbock. My itinerary has me heading in the opposite direction...south to Big Bend National Park...so you might be wondering why I'm heading to Lubbock.
Well...I have family in Texas. Over a year ago, I contacted a cousin, Amy, down in Texas through Facebook. And today, I'm heading to Lubbock to meet several members of the "Thee family".

It's like countless other stories of "America".
In 1907, the two brothers arrive in America by ship from Europe. Jacob Thee and Nicholas Thee...immigrants from their native Hungary...seeking a new life here...in America.
They settle for awhile in Pennsylvania before going their separate ways. Nicholas, my grandfather, likes the city life and settles in Philadelphia. Jacob sees opportunities out west and moves to Alpine, Texas.
Both brothers marry women named Catherine. And, as the years go by, they have children, grandchildren, great children.
Nicholas becomes the owner of several beauty salons in Philadelphia and Atlantic City. Jacob becomes a surveyor, and ends up mapping a large part of southwest Texas, including areas that are now part of Big Bend National Park.
The two branches of the family flourish...separately...half a country apart.
And now...tonight...over one hundred years later...the "Philadelphia, Pennsylvania" branch and the "Alpine, Texas" branch of the Thee family will at last be reunited.

Along the way to Lubbock, I slip back into New Mexico for a long stretch. Around noon, I'm getting pretty hungry, so I stop in the town of Hobbs, New Mexico for lunch. I fill up with gas, and ask the people inside the station for a lunch recommendation. Everyone agrees...El Caballero is the best place in town. So...I head over there. It's not much to look at, but the place is packed. Freshly-made chips and some great looking red and green salsas look very promising. There's a lady in the kitchen making fresh tortillas...quartering them...throwing them in the fryer...couldn't be any fresher. The "green" salsa is the best I've ever had...just some roasted "Hatch" chiles thinned with a little water and a squeeze of lime.
I order "Migas"...a dish made famous at UM tailgates by my friend, Bill Lamping. It's scrambled eggs with ionions, green peppers, cheese and a handful of crushed Tostitos...and, on this day, they've added some air-dried beef (carne seca). It is a great dish...and a huge portion which I can barely finish. And...the bill is around $7.00.
Then...I'm back on the road...through the flat plains of the "Permian Basin". Lots of oil and gas wells...peanut farms...melon farms...really, really flat.
Around 4:00PM, I'm checked in at the Lubbock KOA. A nice spot with a few trees for shade. A few people stop by to check out my camper and, as it turns out, all of them are in the process of building their own "teardrop campers".
I have to dig around inside the Explorer to find some "nice" clothes...I don't want to meet my relatives looking like a "camping bum". I head off to the shower...clean up and shave.
My cousin, Amy, texts me her address. They are having a little birthday party for her sister, Sarah, and there will be lots of folks there for me to meet.
Just about the time I'm getting ready to head out, my cousin (Bill) calls...he must be psychic. He's as excited as I am about the upcoming "reunion", and he makes me promise to call him once things get started.
And then...I'm on my way...about eight miles to Amy's townhouse. Thanks to my Garmin, I have no trouble getting there. Inside the gate, there are a few dogs...good dogs...lots of bark, no bite.
I ring the bell, and there's my cousin, Amy...a big hug. Inside, there's my cousin Sarah...and my cousins Rex and Sheri...plus a lot of friends.
I feel comfortable right away...get myself a beer...introduce myself to everyone. Rex, Sheri and I launch into conversation right away...discussing the family history...who's who. I've got lots of questions...anyone left-handed? (no)...anyone with a fear of heights (also no). OK...some things are just "learned", not "inherited.
One thing becomes perfectly clear, however, the love of good food and drink is definitely implanted deeply in the "Thee DNA". We "Thee's" love our food and enjoy our cocktails...that much is now certain.
After awhile, we all move outside to the courtyard for dinner. My cousin, Amy, has made a few batches of "killer" enchiladas...and there's ranch beans, chips, salsa...it's all good.
I call my cousin, Bill, and he gets a chance to chat with everyone. I know that he's as excited as I am.
Rex, Sheri and I renew our conversation inside...and I learn a lot of interesting things...including the fact that one family member was a great chef who presided over the kitchens of several of New York City's best restaurants (it's definitely in the DNA!). Amy has lots of family photos scanned into her laptop, and we look over those...the family identifying and describing the people shown.
We talk and talk...lots of family stories...family history. I feel comfortable here. Finally, around 1:30AM, we call it a night.
For me and (hopefully) them, this has been a wonderful and historic evening. The two branches of the family have finally been reunited after more than a hundred years.
We met as strangers, but leave as family. But that was to be expected...we are, after all, Thee's.
I feel great on the ride back to camp. I'm too excited to go to bed right away, so I open a beer and sit down to reflect on this night.





These are good people, these "Texas Thee's"...hard-working and good citizens all. My younger cousins, Amy and Sarah, are smart and have impeccable manners...the signs of good parenting.
I can't help but think how different their lives have been from mine. I spent most of my childhood watching television, reading, playing in the backyard. These folks down here rode horses, became expert marksmen (and markswomen)...hunted, fished...built homes, fences, watering tanks. The same DNA...different lives...good lives for all.
Now it's almost 3:00AM...no more beer for me.
Off to bed.
It has been a GREAT day.

No comments: