Saturday, August 25, 2012

"The Way West...Day 70...Wednesday, August22, 2012

It's my last day/night in San Antonio, so I'm off to an early start. It's 7:00AM...time for the morning rituals...coffee, emails, blog, shower, shave.
I'm down to my last two cigars, so the first order of business is to head about ten miles out of town to a place called Finck's Custom Tobaccos...a nice little place...2nd generation family-owned. They have some nice Dominican Churchills at a good price, so I buy three bundles of twenty.
Several people have recommended a restaurant, Los Barrios, that's right on the way back to my hotel. I stop there and have a Margarita while waiting on my order of "Puffy Tacos"...thicker flour tortillas deep-fried until they "puff". They're not bad...a little greasy and the ground beef filling is pretty uninspiring.
Back at the hotel, I've got some cleaning to do in the camper. Every camping trip, I learn something new. And, this year, I learned that Bailey's Irish Cream does not react well to being stored inside the camper parked in the 110 degree Tucson sun. At some point, it blew off the cap and splattered all over one side of the camper. So...I've got to take everything out on that side of the camper and wash everything off.
Around 4:30PM, I walk back downtown and spend some time at the Alamo. It's a solemn place...very quiet...no photographs allowed. After that, I just hike around for awhile with no particular destination in mind.
Around 7:00PM, I'm hungry...I feel like having Prime Rib...and there's a Palm Steakhouse nearby.
Over there, I enjoy a big Stoli Martini with olives while I peruse the menu. Alas...no Prime Rib...too expensive they claim. So, instead, I order the bone-in rib eye, a Caesar salad and creamed spinach...and, of course, some red wine. The steak is good, if a little dry. For the price that they're charging, I expect perfection.
I'm not feeling up for a "big night"...so...after dinner, I head back to the hotel. I do stop for a beer at my favorite little sports bar and the bar at the Menger hotel...saying goodby to the bartenders that I've gotten to know over the last few days.
Back at the hotel, I watch TV for awhile, but I'm really tired...by 10:30 or so, I'm sound asleep.





No comments: