Thursday, August 30, 2012

"The Way West"...Day 74...Sunday, August 26, 2012

The usual "morning drill"...hike to the bathroom, make coffee, haul out the netbook and check emails. If there was any doubt at all that my RV Park is in the greatest location ever, it was dispelled this morning when I walked about five minutes to a...Cinnabon!! There is no more healthy breakfast than a gooey Pecan Roll with extra frosting.
Most of you know my friend, Bill Lamping...successful attorney and "crack" chef. Bill has family here in Austin (his mom and two brothers) and, today, Bill's brother, David, is picking me up and taking me to his favorite "swimming hole". One of David's friends owns some land on the Blanco River west and south of Austin...between the towns of Blanco and Wimberly...and that's where we're headed. It's about an hour and a quarter drive on freeway...state roads...county roads...private roads...narrow gravel paths.
At last, we come to a clearing with a small picnic table where we finish some sandwiches that we picked up in the town of Dripping Springs. Then, it's a fifteen minute hike down to the Blanco River. Like most of the country, Texas has been experiencing drought conditions and, as a result, the Blanco River is, essentially, dry. But...where we are, there are underground springs feeding into the riverbed...creating deep pools of cool water. It's beautiful, peaceful and quiet.
The climb down from the bank to the pools is very tricky...steep and slippery. A little "warning bell" goes off in my head as I am contemplating the climb down...risk of falling, risk of drowning. So...I am extremely careful on my descent and still more cautious when I reach the water. I'm wearing my deck shoes when what I really need are those special "water hiking shoes/sandals". I do get in the water, but I'm careful to stay in one small area where the water is relatively shallow. The climb out is particularly tricky, and I feel a sense of relief when I finally crawl onto the bank again.
On the way back to Austin, David and I stumble upon a secret government laboratory where genetic engineering is conducted. The photos show the tragic results of a government experiment to cross dachshunds with cattle.
I might as well say, up front, that my dinner tonight was a great disappointment. When I used to come down to Texas on a regular basis in the late 70's and the 80's, THE place to go in Austin was Threadgill's. It was famous for music (Janis Joplin sang and waited tables there) as well as "Texas Comfort Food" (particularly Chicken-Fried Steak). But...that was a long time ago, and Threadgill's is...well...not what it used to be. The online reviews are almost unanimously negative...but I go there anyway. Sadly, the reviews are accurate...my Chicken-Fried Steak is "gristly" and the coating falls away from the meat (a sign that the whole thing was frozen at some point)...mashed potatoes are cold and grey...fried okra soggy and greasy. So sad...so very sad.
Back at camp, I enjoy a few icy-cold beers and watch a few old episodes of "Frasier" on the television. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed that show. Sleep comes slowly and uneasily...my dinner is not "sitting well".








No comments: