Wednesday, August 22, 2012

"The Way West"...Day 68...Monday, August 20, 2012

A great night's sleep...sleeping in this morning until almost 9:00AM. I haul in the coffee maker, brew a pot and enjoy a few cups while I post to the blog and check emails.
Around 11:30, I'm ready to head out for lunch. One of my favorite spots here is "Rosario's"...about two miles away, so I decide to hike over there.
It's a pleasant stroll from one edge of downtown to another. The sun is bright and hot, but I loop back and forth across the streets to stay in the shade as much as possible.
A little after noon, I'm sitting at the bar at Rosario's enjoying a Margarita mixed and shaken to order. Queso Fresco Enchiladas with Red Sauce sound good, so I have those...excellent. Dulce de Leche Crepes with Vanilla Ice Cream and a Mayan coffee...I'm stuffed.
On the way back to the hotel, I stop at a few bars along the way...including the bar at the Menger Hotel. Teddy Roosevelt stayed here several times while recruiting men for his "Rough Riders". And, as a result, the hotel is full of TR memorabilia...photos, letters, weapons, uniforms..even some old saddles.
Back at the hotel, I nap from 3:00 to 6:00...then I'm up and ready to head out again for the night. OK...I'll admit that the Riverwalk is pretty "touristy". But, if you moderate your expectations, it can be fun...particularly for barhopping. So...I spend the next few hours walking up one side of the Riverwalk and down the other...occasionally venturing up to street level. Mexican restaurants, an Irish Pub, a few wine bars...friendly people.
Around 9:00PM, I'm hungry, so I venture up to street level in search of a "snack". I see a sign that looks like it says "Luke" and, for a moment, I think that I'm seeing things because Luke is one of my favorite New Orleans restaurants. But, lucky for me, they have opened a branch of Luke here in San Antonio. So...I duck inside for a few glasses of wine, a few grilled oysters, and a cup of seafood gumbo...everything great and just enough for a "snack".
By now, it's after 10:00PM, and I decide to call it an early night. One stop for a "nightcap" at the Menger Hotel...and I'm back in my room. I watch television for an hour or so and then drift off to sleep.





No comments: